Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater?

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
The last several days have been several degrees below zero, even down below - 15. The last two days I had cold starting issues with my Massey 1648. The engine would crank but I would get no fuel. The issue was easily resolved by pointing my torpedo heater at the right side of the engine for 5+ mins, near the fuel filter, fuel pump, metal fuel lines, and injector housing. By proxy the heat also would have made contact with the engine block on that side.

Now, I have never had cold start issues in the past. This last batch of fuel I use was off road diesel from my local station. I also used anti gel cetane boost like usual. So, I am doubtful that the fuel was bad, though it remains a possibility.

I'm going to call my dealer later today to ask what factory options Massey offers for warming the tractor, but based on this experience, where do you guys think my issue is? Is my oil too cold to fire the injectors? Or is my fuel delivery frozen somewhere not getting fuel to the injectors? I can't really point the heater at one of the fluid systems without getting heat to the other.

So, which fluid was too cold? Oil or fuel?

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #2  
If a heater did the trick in that short a timeframe, it sounds more like a fuel issue to me. If it was an oil issue, I think the engine would turn over much slower as well....was it about normal?

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater?
If a heater did the trick in that short a timeframe, it sounds more like a fuel issue to me. If it was an oil issue, I think the engine would turn over much slower as well....was it about normal?

Yeah she was cranking like usual ... Just clearly wasn't getting fuel. And once whatever issue was thawed, she started up just like normal. I'm sure you're right, it's most likely a fuel gel issue. (Just didn't want to assume)

Now I need to figure out where exactly the weak point is that would lead to freezing. Probably the hard fuel lines going to the injectors is my guess.

Last edited:
   / Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #4  
I would be more suspicious of the low pressure part of the system. The lift pump which brings the fuel to the injection pump, the suction line, possible gauze/fine screen filter in the tank, the filter.
Once the injection system gets the fuel there is a lot of pressure to move slightly gelled fuel along whereas on the suction side of the lift pump it does not exert much energy to over come any restriction. Of course water in the fuel tank can bring everything to a halt as it settles at the bottom where the pick up is.
Take some fuel from the tank and put in it a bottle and leave it outside with the tractor. A quick look should give you some useful info.
Dave m7040

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #5  
I would also wonder about the fuel filter since the metal is so thin....I'd think it would take longer to get heat through the injector lines, etc because they're thicker...just a thought.

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater?
I would also wonder about the fuel filter since the metal is so thin....I'd think it would take longer to get heat through the injector lines, etc because they're thicker...just a thought.

Possibly ... I have about 100 hrs in that filter so changing it wouldn't hurt.

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #7  

I wasn't thinking about it being plugged so much as being more susceptible to ice/gel problems since the thin metal would transfer the cold to the fuel very quickly and efficiently. That could also explain why the problem went away so quickly with a bit of heat. I'm wondering if Massey makes a fuel filter heater type kit (some brands have them).

I think something like this might be worthwhile if we keep having these crazy winters:
Model FH - Fuel Filter Heater

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #8  
Could depend on how/where it was sitting; if the lines/filter were exposed to wind the freezing effect could have been significant. Changing the filter out by itself could help track back to cause. The filter is meant to allow water to fall and keep particulate matter out. BUT, if the filter is water saturated from condensate freezing then fuel can't pass and you won't get her to start. I doubt it's bad fuel so much as the right conditions to make the filter impassible until heat was applied. JMHO.

/ Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #9  
Fuel "gelling" is when wax particles begin to fall out of solution usually in the fuel filter because that's where the greatest restriction is You can also have fuel icing which is when water in the fuel begins to freeze also usually in the filter You can treat the fuel with additives or by cutting with kerosene or both

Last edited:
   / Cold start issues, which fluid needs a heater? #10  
same issue here - and just waiting for more outside warmth to try to start it -