Boomer 50 Comments

/ Boomer 50 Comments #1  

olaug

Tractor
Boomer 50
New Holland Boomer 50 Review
I purchased a 2010 New Holland Boomer 50 with loader and took delivery in February 2011. I haven稚 examined any of the newer Boomer 50痴 but if you are considering one you may want to check out my comments below. First off this sub compact tractor is not made by NH but is made by LS Tractor in South Korea. In my opinion, NH should have stayed out of the compact tractor market by deciding to brand a foreign tractor as theirs. The only advantage of having LS tractor branded as New Holland is that there are more convenient dealerships throughout the US for parts, service, and warranty.
Having used this tractor for about three years with a total of about 275 engine hours, I have experienced a number of annoying ergonomic and technical problems. As is the case so often a design is often established by those who have never used their product or are even aware of certain problems before the product goes out the door.
I will start with the loader hydraulic couplers which are located on the right side between the engine and the loader mount vertical upright. While the coupler set seems well shielded from possible damage, the spacing around the couplers is so narrow that it becomes a frustrating task to couple and uncouple the connectors. This is especially so for someone with large hands and/or arthritic fingers.
Connecting an implement shaft to the PTO output is a real chore. The PTO output splined shaft is always locked so it can稚 be turned by hand. Because the PTO shaft is unable to be turned, it is often difficult to align the PTO splined shaft to the implement shaft. If the splines are not in alignment then you have to rotate the implement shaft with a screwdriver or bar placed in the universal coupling while holding it in place until you align the splines and can push it on the PTO shaft. The PTO shaft needs to be freewheeling when the tractor is off so that the entire coupling action can be done by rotating the PTO shaft with one hand while pushing on the implement shaft.
The rear wheel spacing is a bit narrow relative to its center of gravity making it feel a bit tippy on hillsides. Also, for some reason only one left fender handhold is provided. I guess they figured you should only travel in one direction on a hillside! I would definitely recommend that the tires be ballasted to help lower the center of gravity and even consider wheel spacers if you are operating on uneven terrain.
The fuel tank is mounted behind the seat like many of the newer tractors, but it is mounted too high so that it is difficult to look back to observe the 3 point lower link coupling. This problem is even worse for someone of short stature wanting to briefly look back while traveling forward to check the integrity of the 3 pt couplings. And of course if you stand to get a better view, the tractor seat switch stops the tractor. Speaking of the fuel tank, the fuel capacity seems marginally adequate for a 47 hp machine (depending on the task) requiring more trips to refuel. Also, the fuel gauge appears to be very non-linear. That is when the gauge indicates ス full; it is more like シ full. It is impossible to realistically estimate the remaining fuel because from a ス full indication in a very short period the gauge will quickly registers near empty. You can get used to this effect in terms of whether a job can be finished without stopping to refuel but it is nevertheless annoying.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #2  
What you are describing are the reasons the switch was made to the newer C models. That and the Tier 4B emissions compliance. The new Boomer 47 is a much more comfortable tractor to operate with a larger fuel tank.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #3  
The issues you describe are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and there are no perfect tractors, so there are always going to be a few things that aren't perfect. Also, when people join here, and their first post is to complain about their tractor it often means folks aren't going to take it with a grain of salt.

I had the LS version (R4047H) and didn't have any of the problems that you describe with the hydraulic couplers, so it must be the loader that NH uses (not the same as the LS loader).

The PTO shaft has a brake on it, and that is the norm for modern tractors...yes, they want to idiot-proof them. A few have some way of releasing the brake, but many do not. It's actually pretty easy to use an inexpensive PTO adapter and weld a short handle to it, and you can rotate the PTO shaft with no problem.

I've read that other folks had problems with the fuel gauge being non-linear, and their dealer fixed the issue. I know I could run mine pretty much all day and only get it down to half a tank, at which point I would refill it (roughly 5gal). A larger fuel tank would have been nice, but it was enough for more than a long day of work if you start out full, so I didn't find it to be a problem. I'm on the short side, and didn't really have any issue seeing over the tank when hooking up implements.

I always kind of laugh when people say a machine feels "tippy" on a hillside....I have no idea what that means, but the track width of the Boomer 50 is similar to that of many other models the same size. If the tires aren't lifting up, I don't see how it can feel "tippy." If you're working on hillsides (can be dangerous to start with) and you don't have loaded tires to help lower the center of gravity, you're asking for problems. There are lot of folks here with either the Boomer 40/50 or R4041/4047 and I honestly can't recall anybody complaining about stability like that.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #4  
Wow! Great first post. Welcome to the internet's best tractor forum.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #5  
The issues you describe are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and there are no perfect tractors, so there are always going to be a few things that aren't perfect. Also, when people join here, and their first post is to complain about their tractor it often means folks aren't going to take it with a grain of salt.

I had the LS version (R4047H) and didn't have any of the problems that you describe with the hydraulic couplers, so it must be the loader that NH uses (not the same as the LS loader).

The PTO shaft has a brake on it, and that is the norm for modern tractors...yes, they want to idiot-proof them. A few have some way of releasing the brake, but many do not. It's actually pretty easy to use an inexpensive PTO adapter and weld a short handle to it, and you can rotate the PTO shaft with no problem.

I've read that other folks had problems with the fuel gauge being non-linear, and their dealer fixed the issue. I know I could run mine pretty much all day and only get it down to half a tank, at which point I would refill it (roughly 5gal). A larger fuel tank would have been nice, but it was enough for more than a long day of work if you start out full, so I didn't find it to be a problem. I'm on the short side, and didn't really have any issue seeing over the tank when hooking up implements.

I always kind of laugh when people say a machine feels "tippy" on a hillside....I have no idea what that means, but the track width of the Boomer 50 is similar to that of many other models the same size. If the tires aren't lifting up, I don't see how it can feel "tippy." If you're working on hillsides (can be dangerous to start with) and you don't have loaded tires to help lower the center of gravity, you're asking for problems. There are lot of folks here with either the Boomer 40/50 or R4041/4047 and I honestly can't recall anybody complaining about stability like that.

I agree with Bart. Chances are high that you would have the same or similar issues with any other brand.

I love my Kioti DK50SE, but the fuel tank is between the motor and the windshield, so I have to stand on the front tire to fill it up. Other tractors have the fuel tank below the cab on one side or the other. That's great for ease of refueling, but some people have complained that the fuel tank location makes it vulnerable to brush and obstacles. So, just pick your poison.

Connecting PTO shafts to the tractor PTO is a PITA on just about any machine. Yes, it would be easier if the tractor PTO stub would freewheel when the tractor is off. But many don't work that way. I guess it's another area where our litigious society has cost us another common sense convenience.

/ Boomer 50 Comments
olaug

Boomer 50 Comments--the rest of the story:

In addition to the issues I sited about the Boomer 50, shortly thereafter the engine water pump began leaking badly. Normally I would undertake such repairs myself but since I have become less enamored with the Boomer 50, I had the dealer do the water pump replacement which cost me nearly $1000. That did it! I sold the Boomer 50 and bought a JD 4052R with a H180 loader. This is a really nice machine although more expensive and a somewhat larger frame than the Boomer 50. Among the many convenient features it has a freewheeling PTO shaft for easy hookup. Also, for the nearly same horsepower, the implement hydraulics is about 20% greater at 10.2 GPM. So far no regrets and for the time being I will stay green.

I have always been a fan of Ford tractors and had previously owned a 2910, but when NH took over the foreign sub compact tractors and began branding them as a New Holland machines, for me this has been a disappointing venture.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #7  
olaug

Boomer 50 Comments--the rest of the story:

In addition to the issues I sited about the Boomer 50, shortly thereafter the engine water pump began leaking badly. Normally I would undertake such repairs myself but since I have become less enamored with the Boomer 50, I had the dealer do the water pump replacement which cost me nearly $1000. That did it! I sold the Boomer 50 and bought a JD 4052R with a H180 loader. This is a really nice machine although more expensive and a somewhat larger frame than the Boomer 50. Among the many convenient features it has a freewheeling PTO shaft for easy hookup. Also, for the nearly same horsepower, the implement hydraulics is about 20% greater at 10.2 GPM. So far no regrets and for the time being I will stay green.

I have always been a fan of Ford tractors and had previously owned a 2910, but when NH took over the foreign sub compact tractors and began branding them as a New Holland machines, for me this has been a disappointing venture.

How did a tractor with a 5 year warranty cost you $1000 to replace the water pump?

I agree on the PTO shaft ... My Massey has a neutral lever for the shaft and it is extremely helpful for hooking up. I wouldn't want a tractor without it now that I've had it.

Also, I agree on the hydraulics. My Massey puts around 11.6 I believe to the implements, and it's noticeable for responsiveness.

But, the other complaints, mainly the ergonomical ones ... Isn't that something that you should have been aware of before you purchased the tractor? It's not like they were hiding the fuel tank from you prior to your purchase ...

/ Boomer 50 Comments
olaug
RE Boomer 50 comments--rest of the story

The NH dealer that I had do the repair of the water pump claimed that the warranty after three years did not cover the repair. Yes, I should have researched and test drove the Boomer 50 more before buying it. At the time I didn't even realize that the tractor came from LS Tractor. Somehow I trusted the New Holland name. Lately, I have noticed that not many NH dealers are displaying the Boomer series on their lots, but you see lots of Kubota tractors.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #9  
olaug

The NH dealer that I had do the repair of the water pump claimed that the warranty after three years did not cover the repair. Yes, I should have researched and test drove the Boomer 50 more before buying it. At the time I didn't even realize that the tractor came from LS Tractor. Somehow I trusted the New Holland name. Lately, I have noticed that not many NH dealers are displaying the Boomer series on their lots, but you see lots of Kubota tractors.

Ah makes sense ... Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Good luck with the new JD, those are nice looking, albeit expensive, tractors.

/ Boomer 50 Comments #10  
olaug

They probably aren't selling many because with just a few clicks of a mouse people can learn that they can buy the same tractor, with a better loader, for $7-10K less. The closest NH dealer quoted me $10K more for the same setup as my R4047H.