Unexplained Traces in The Snow

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow
For what it's worth, I am using Low Viscosity JD oil. One of the reasons I am so paranoid about leaks is the hundred bucks a pail price tag! And that JD 6200, it seems has never been without some hydraulic leak it seems. If not that, then a fuel leak. Thought JD was famous for their high quality hydraulics. Wait, I forgot, they started with a clean sheet of paper!

It is so **** cold. It has not gone above freezing here since mid January and it's been a lot colder then that most of the time. My enthusiasm to do anything outside is frozen too. I will look at the hydraulics closer, when it gets warmer, in the mean time just keep an eye on the snow, when and if I have to use it.

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow #12  
I have a small spot in the snow, right below the bucket cylinder on my backhoe, that's been setting since late fall. Temps locally have been recorded @ -15º, -16º in the last few weeks. And that cylinder doesn't leak when operating in normal temps.

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow #13  
This is what happens when seals fail due to cold. Be very very wary! :laughing:

image.jpg

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow #14  
Sounds a bit extreme, ripping out their earrings! How about their nipple rings, and leave it at that? Very cold temperatures cause interesting problems- the Alaska pipeline project was a hoot to read about. And, in the early 80's, I met a German heavy equipment mechanic who worked up there in the winter, under a canvas tarp, when big dozers broke down in the middle of nowhere. He and his 1" rachet set got 'coptered in and out. Ice roads over lakes only happened in mid winter- a bummer for men and machines.

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow #15  
You may have had some ice on one of your cylinders. Just enough to get caught in the seal or deform the seal for a short time.

/ Unexplained Traces in The Snow #16  
Hst?

Could be the bypass was allowing fluid out. If it has a bypass... just a guess.