PTO

/ PTO #1  

Big Dog 1

Tractor
Ford& M F
What, if any is the hp. loss or gain going from 540 rpm to 1000 rpm. This would be on 8 ft. snow blower.:confused:

/ PTO #2  
What speed is the snowblower designed for? If you run a 540 snowblower a little faster (I would not recommend full out 1000 rpm) it will probably perform very well. But you will have to run your tractor at less then rated RPM speed and the question is, can it deliver the required HP at that RPM?

Many forign (sp?) compact tractors had multiple RMP PTOs, something I was most jealous of on my unimaginitive Domestic tractors. Only larger domestic tractors seemed to have 1000 rpm PTOs. So, it might have been a nice option to run low demand PTO implements without the engine screeming away at full RPM. However, most snow blowing operations demand much of the tractor. Our JD dealer once told me that blowing snow is the hardest thing many tractors will ever be asked to do.

It also depends on your drive system. A hydrostat or multiple speed transmission in the direction you are going can make better use of available power. If you only have two reverse speeds like I do on our JD 6200, one is too fast and the other is too slow! Fortunately, I have a wet clutch, but it's still all no good!

/ PTO #3  
What, if any is the hp. loss or gain going from 540 rpm to 1000 rpm. This would be on 8 ft. snow blower.:confused:

To understand the difference you need to know this: HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252 To transmit the same horsepower at 540 rpm requires more torque than at 1000 rpm. Since the amount of torque any shaft can transmit is limited by it's physical size once tractor hp got up to over 100 hp or so the 540 rpm ptos were staring to reach their torque limit so they bumped the speed up to 1000 rpm which dropped the torque value.

You don't have a hp loss or gain going from 540 rpm to 1000 rp (or vice versa) but you do change the amount of torque the pto shaft has to transmit to do the same work.

Overdriving a snowblower will let you blow the snow farther but you will experience more vibration from an imperfectly balanced rotor and/or and auger the faster you spin them.

Last edited:
   / PTO
Thank-you for info. So at 130 hp going into blower it should be easier on cross and yokes at 1000 rather than 540, taking into account not to let it run free much at 1000. Am I right. Thank's again

/ PTO #6  
You will really only have as much HP going in as you need, but potentially you could get this if you have it. I imagine any of your shear bolts would be rated at half that!

Now I understand why the larger tractors went to 1000 rpm. Thanks. Makes sense.

I would love to have a 540 rpm 8 foot blower run by a 130hp 1000 pto tractor! You could blow snow a mile barely above idle!