Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #1  

Dillier23

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH, Deere, Kubota, Yanmar
First year with this tractor and winter has showed that he fluid in the tires is not correct for the colder climates in central IL. I have two frozen chunks in the rear and it's making for a rough ride. The tires are tubeless as far as I know, no ill effects of running on the ice so far, tubes I assume would have punctured or cut by now.

Question is: Can I mix Calcium Chloride (assuming there is some in the tire) and antifreeze?

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #2  
Take a small taste. If its salty bitter its CaCl. If its neutral ~ sweet its Methanol. Add a concentrated mix of CaCl to your CaCl fill ... or pure methanol to your methanol fill to decrease freeze point.
larry

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #4  
If your tires are tubeless you probably shouldn't be using Calcium Chloride. It will eat the rims in a few years. Tubeless tires will normally say tubeless on the sidewall. Maybe they are filled with water or washer fluid that is too weak of a mixture. Beet juice (Rim Guard), washer antifreeze, or RV antifreeze is usually inside a tubeless tire (Or straight water in the far south where it doesn't freeze).

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze
The tire says tubeless, thats why I assume it's not damaging the tire running it around the property. I've ordered a bead breaker and plan on dumping at least 5 gallons of antifreeze in each tire. Hopefully that'll take care of the freezing problems.

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #6  
if your tire is tubeless and you break the bead, be prepared for a big mess. A better plan might be to call your tire service dealer and have him come to you and lower the freezing temp of your solution .

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #7  
...and for those of you not yet in this pickle, Rim Guard does not freeze until about -45F, is 11lbs/gallon and is certified as cattle food and is not corrosive. About every other fluid ballast has some issues. Methanol is light, CaCl is corrosive, anti-freeze will kill your dog if he drinks it.

No real downside to Rim Guard except not every dealer sells it and it is moderately expensive. A lot of the expense is that this is not some sort of powder that gets mixed. It arrives at the dealer in a big tanker truck, so the trucking expense adds to the cost.

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #8  
The tire says tubeless, thats why I assume it's not damaging the tire running it around the property. I've ordered a bead breaker and plan on dumping at least 5 gallons of antifreeze in each tire. Hopefully that'll take care of the freezing problems.

You need this. Air/Liquid Adapter Kit | GEMPLER'S

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze #9  
First year with this tractor and winter has showed that he fluid in the tires is not correct for the colder climates in central IL. I have two frozen chunks in the rear and it's making for a rough ride. The tires are tubeless as far as I know, no ill effects of running on the ice so far, tubes I assume would have punctured or cut by now.

Question is: Can I mix Calcium Chloride (assuming there is some in the tire) and antifreeze?
... Im still trying to figure out why you asked in the 1st place.

/ Mixing CaCl and Antifreeze
SpyderLK, I was curious if there was any ill effects of mixing the two together. That was the main objective of the question.

With the thing frozen I couldn't tell what was being used in the tire, CaCl or something else. If there was someone that had mixed the two before and reported a problem I would have went a different route to correct the problem.