Another cold weather not starting thread.

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #1  

rasorbackq

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720
After reading all 9 pages of TSO post ref Cold weather not starting tractor I can say I have the same problem as him. My tractor does not like to start this winter when its cold Say -15 C. As soon as the sun hits it it will start. So I figure its ice somewhere in the system.
I'm not aware if I can buy #1 ,2,or 3 Diesel . I get what comes out of the pump. same fuel in our VW and it runs all winter.
Whats the census..... can we add methyl hydrate to diesel?
should we add something?

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #2  
I would believe you have a glow plug problem. The sun does have heat again at this time of year.
Your light will say the glow plugs are on even if they are not check and see if they are heating up
your repair manual should tell you how to test them, if you don't have a repair manual you need to get one.
even one glow plug not working will cause an 8 cyl. diesel not to start good, two out and my F250 will not start at 0 f

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #3  
Regarding #1, #2 etc. diesel fuel, here in our neck of the woods we get what's at the pump. In the summer it's thicker but has higher energy, while in the winter it's thinner but has less heat value. The refiners here (you know who the big one is) switch over to winter diesel during the fall and back to summer grade in the spring. The trick is to make sure you get fuel for winter use after the local station has received at least one (I prefer two) bulk deliveries of winter fuel. I re-fuel with jerry cans and I try to save one can of winter grade over the summer to start off the fall. I also try to buy at least my first batch of winter diesel from a station that I know pumps large volumes of diesel (like a truck stop). If I'm caught with summer diesel in the tank in the fall, I cut with kerosene. I also use Howes Lubricator diesel treat, just in case.

/ Another cold weather not starting thread.
I don't have a manual for the tractor . I turn the key the dash light indicates the plugs are on After 5-10 secs the light goes off and a clicking noise continues. It turns over great with no smoke. wait til the sun hits the tractor to melt off the frost and it will start ever time. Still talking -15 C

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #5  
Does it fire but not run? If so, it could be ice or gel. If it doesn't fire, it's probably the glow plugs.

Your tractor's fuel filter is probably more in the open than the one on your VW. If your VW is like our TDI, its fuel filter is nestled up next to the engine block.

You could get some chemical hand warmers (you know: the kind where you activate them by bending or breaking something so the chemicals get together). Just attach one of these to your tractor's fuel filter and wrap it in place with banding. This would take care of any gelling or icing.

Ralph

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #6  
Are the glow plugs set up in series on those..?? I know my old '91 Ford's 7.3's were. The first inline may be working, and the next one not,, or any of the rest, and would not start. Tested them, and replaced what was bad, and started like it was in July.

/ Another cold weather not starting thread.
Does it fire but not run? If so, it could be ice or gel. If it doesn't fire, it's probably the glow plugs.

Your tractor's fuel filter is probably more in the open than the one on your VW. If your VW is like our TDI, its fuel filter is nestled up next to the engine block.

You could get some chemical hand warmers (you know: the kind where you activate them by bending or breaking something so the chemicals get together). Just attach one of these to your tractor's fuel filter and wrap it in place with banding. This would take care of any gelling or icing.

Ralph
No fire just turns over

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #8  
Diesel fuel pumps and alcohol do not work well together. Or so I have read. Add the proper additive that does not contain alcohol.

Use heat gun on the places you feel there might be gelling etc. do this before the sun hits it. Might indicate where the problem lies.

For diesel Fuel grade I kinda think that what's at the pump is your choice unless you buy bulk from a distributor.

/ Another cold weather not starting thread. #9  
Unless there's water in your fuel the only place you'll need to warm up is your fuel filter. If the fuel is jelling add some kerosene to the tank ( NO alcohol). And what Egon said.