Grading Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea?

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #1  

Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HST (Kobi)
Since the KK 5ft rear blade I use on my B7500 is not REAL heavy, it doesn't cut into hard packed snow and ice very well. I was kinda thinkin' some additional weight on it might help it dig in a little better. I have already tried various angles of blade presentation, but nothin' much helps so far. It looks like I ought to be able to place several "tube sand" tubes on it without any problem. Has anyone tried this and does it help????????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #2  
I have the 6' KK blade...and it seems to be very aggressive when I tilt the top back and run it with the concave face [the normal way] in the direction I am moving...

Now for ice, I guess I also might need some extra weight like you are suggesting. I have not tried it, but why not?

I would not hesitate to put the extra weight on it myself. Those concrete blocks I put on the top of my KK box blade sure seem to make a difference!

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #3  
The nice thing about the sand tube idea is you can play with amount of weight you add. I added a bracket and attached 150 pounds of theater "pig weight" to my 6' Howse blade, and it made a big difference. I drag snow forward into my melting area, and the weight of the blade once I raise it really makes the rear wheels dig in and let me back out again. Once you know the amount of weight you want to add, pick up some barbell weights and bolt them on.

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #4  
Hi...

I use barbell weight plates... the threaded rod & nuts make it EZ to use different weights... rod goes thru the existing hole in the blade...

See Attachment...

Dave...

Attachments

• 372743-IMG_0677.JPG
    372743-IMG_0677.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 281
   / Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #5  
Weight would really help with snow, but if the snow has turned to ice and has glued itself to the driveway, the Spring Thaw may be needed. I have a Ford with a lightweight blade that skims over the snow if a car or two travels over the snow before I get to it. My B7500 has a much heavier blade that does quite a bit better. For snow that has gotten packed down, the FEL works still better. For ice, nothing I have will move it unless there's a warm day and there is some melting going on..............chim

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #6  
Drop the ripper teeth down /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That might cut the ice. Works on my gravel road ok, might be a bit rough on pavement though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have welded 12 inch long 3/4 inch posts on the top of my blade.
I have a lot of 1/2 inch 20 lb steel plates with 2 holes in them that I slide down on the posts as needed.

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea?
Ripper teeth on a rear blade /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif???!!!

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #8  
Dave in CT....... what brand is your blade?

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #9  
i find under those conditions the RB don't work to well, even for dirt if it is hard and compacted u need to losen it a bit.

/ Extra weight on rear blade - yea or nea? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Dave in CT....... what brand is your blade? )</font>

Junkman...

It's labelled as John Deere... 6'...
The side wings are custom made... and I recently repainted it to match the Kubota... previously had a Deere 750... bought it used ~7 years ago...

Dave...