Cool down period?

/ Cool down period? #21  
all sound advice here. my rule is while the engine is idling several minutes before a shutdown, i'll grab a beer & hang out a while, allowing us both to cool off after a workout. that way we both congratulate ourselves on work well done without any complaints.... :)
Several minutes is almost universally excessive. A waste of fuel - and borderline harmful.

/ Cool down period? #23  
You shouldn't rush a man while he enjoys a well earned after work beer.:D
Course not. You and the machine are different. Water is a byproduct of combustion.

/ Cool down period? #24  
Letting the engine idle for a few minutes before shutting down is very important. The exhaust headers are extremely hot. Certain portions of the block are very hot, as are the exhaust ports in the heads. Rapid temperature changes can cause metal parts to crack. Running at idle allows all of these parts to reach a common temperature, allowing for far less thermal shock when suddenly cutting the engine power. Your head gaskets will love you.....and last a whole lot longer with proper cool-down procedures.

Joel

/ Cool down period? #25  
all sound advice here. my rule is while the engine is idling several minutes before a shutdown, i'll grab a beer & hang out a while, allowing us both to cool off after a workout. that way we both congratulate ourselves on work well done without any complaints.... :)

I like your thinking:drink:

/ Cool down period? #26  
I agree completely with spiderlk. Once I've gotten it into the garage, it has cooled down enough.

Must of you are old wives' tale nuts.

Ralph

/ Cool down period? #27  
Here's what I did.
When I first got my tractor, I let it run at idle for about 10 minutes. Thermostat was stable and I just took a magic marker and marked where the normal temp was.
Now when I'm done, I just drop the throttle to idle, drop the bucket and blade, turn off the lights, and let it run until it drops back to normal temp, usually within a minute, two or three if it's a really hot day.

/ Cool down period? #28  
I agree completely with spiderlk. Once I've gotten it into the garage, it has cooled down enough.

Must of you are old wives' tale nuts.

Ralph
If it's in the owners manual do you sill call it an old wives tale? I had never heard of the need for a cool down period until I read it in my owners manual. Now they are telling you how to preserve your investment in an expensive machine they engineered and manufactured and their reputation rides on the success of the machine they have sold you.
Do you really think they would knowingly steer you wrong?

/ Cool down period? #29  
If it's in the owners manual do you sill call it an old wives tale? I had never heard of the need for a cool down period until I read it in my owners manual. Now they are telling you how to preserve your investment in an expensive machine they engineered and manufactured and their reputation rides on the success of the machine they have sold you.
Do you really think they would knowingly steer you wrong?
Could it be that they despair of the complexities in explaining it well enuf to prevent misinterpretation for varied cases ; so instead they just shotgun it? Close enuf. No critical thinking required.
,,,larry

/ Cool down period? #30  
Could it be that they despair of the complexities in explaining it well enuf to prevent misinterpretation for varied cases ; so instead they just shotgun it? Close enuf. No critical thinking required.
,,,larry
No I don't think they are being over cautious. The tractor I have is very basic and the temperature gauge measures engine coolant temperature and is not digital or very precise. Without a digital temp. gauge for just the turbo bearings the operator does not have access to enough information to reduce the cool down time with confidence. To shut it down while still hot causes damage to over cool it before shut down does not. What would your instructions be?