Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #1  

pohorsky

Silver Member
Tractor
to30, sd1643
We are getting ready to dig out our footing for a 30' wall we are building. The footing needs to be 3' wide and 18" deep and is in pretty rocky soil. Would it make more sense to rent mini-excavator or a backhoe?

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #2  
Mini-excavator. Easier to use and maneuver around.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #3  
   / Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #4  
The job is less than a 1/2 hr. with either unless you get to mini of a machine.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #5  
Are you able to trailer either machine? Do you have any other tasks to complete? A comparable weight mini will out dig the comparable weight backhoe.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe
I don't think so. All I have is an 3/4 ton. A 3.5 was what I initially thought, but didn't realize it would be so quick. This is my first time using one. Think it would take more than a day with our soil full of cobble and my lack of experience? Would a mini also work fine for removing stumps? I might want to do that if I already have it here.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #7  
If it is pretty rocky see if they have a rock bucket. Normal bucket is square across the front. Rock bucket is triangular shaped, pointy in the middle then tapering towards the sides. Makes it easier to "feel" around a rock and get underneath it.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #8  
I think that you could do it in a day. I would get the smallest bucket that they have available. It should definitely work digging out stumps. Just don't expect to just tram up and curl out the stump though!

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #9  
I don't think so. All I have is an 3/4 ton. A 3.5 was what I initially thought, but didn't realize it would be so quick. This is my first time using one. Think it would take more than a day with our soil full of cobble and my lack of experience? Would a mini also work fine for removing stumps? I might want to do that if I already have it here.

Depending on the size and quantity of stumps, a 3.5 ton mini would work fine and as Billrog said, will make quick work on a 30' footing. The controls should be switchable on pretty much anything you rent, so you'll have to find which one feels "right" to you. I had my 9 year old step son running a mini pretty well within 10 minutes or so. You'll be fine.

/ Digging out footing - mini-ex or backhoe #10  
I remember my first 30 minutes on a backhoe. I was looking for a field drainage tile so I could find and fix a blockage.

It wasn't pretty and I sure am glad it wasn't a wall foundation. .

Good luck to you and....