Steep Hill Log Skidding

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #11  
If you look for small and powerfull tractor, try to find slightly used Agco Allis 5660, 4wd. Pretty small, nimble and powerfull tractor for that what you need. Width of rear side is 72", wheelbase 82". I have SAME Argon, what is equal tractor to mentioned AA. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
BTW, mentioned MF3300 have similar (SAME) gearbox, MFWD and CAB like AA, only different engine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope this helps,
ZJ

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #12  
<font color="blue"> BTW, mentioned MF3300 have similar (SAME) gearbox, MFWD and CAB like AA, only different engine </font>
That's all right. The engine in the 3300's is a Perkins.

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding
Thanks for the tips.... I'll look around for these models as well.

Rip

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #14  
Maybe consider a small bulldozer or an oliver cleat track for pulling power and hill stability.

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #15  
I had to do someting similar last summer but I don't think my slopes were as severe as yours and I did have a piece of "flatter" land that I was comfortable running the tractor on. I cut it up into managable pieces and used a long rope and a couple of snatch blocks/pulleys to pull it out of there a piece at a time. Whenever the tractor started to get on to a slope I was uncomfortable with, I stopped, untied the rope, backed down the slope and took another bite. It was slow and laborious and took 2 people to do it safely but it was kinda fun working out in the woods with my wife.

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #16  
Not sure how big or how much you want to skid, but someone posted a link on this website and when I looked at the Manufacturers other products they had a small tracked skidder, that had an option of Forwarder trailer with Log loader.

I can't seem to find the link though.

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding
I have considered a tracked unit (even the Nortrac 30 HP diesel crawler with 6 way blade and 3 pt hitch), but am afraid that steel tracks would tear up the ground cover and cause erosion.

I found a rubber tracked hydrostatic Berfor Forcat 2000 mini-skidder by RAD Technologies in Canada, but it only has a 24 HP gas engine (remember I lose 28% power with any NA engine) and the mfg said it would not be suited to my situation.

I also don't want an older machine that I have to rebuild or futz with a lot. I have a winch with 80 ft cable on my TC-30, but would need 5 times that to get to many areas and even then a straight pull would often be impossible.

Thanks for all the input and tips.... at this point I still think the Hydro Traxx 6X6 with 28" low pressure tires, hydrostatic drive and a 32 HP TD Kubota will go any where, be very stable on the side hills, and be gentle on the land while still be able to pull logs with a quadskidder-type of hitch-up.

I will be going out of town and be out of contact for the next three weeks, so I won't be able to respond to subsequent posts for a while.

Thanks all....

Rip-on-the-mountain

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #18  
Now that you mention it was the RAD unit.

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #19  
Look at the track-loaders. An ASV-RC30 would be similar hp to your CUT. The next step would be something like the ASV-RC50 or Cat-247 with 50hp.
www.asvi.com

/ Steep Hill Log Skidding #20  
I know you said no oldies but a Bombardier "Bombi" J series sounds perfect

Attachments

• 375591-Bombi_2-11-03.jpg
    375591-Bombi_2-11-03.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 477