Ford 4500 TLB - Weights?

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #1  

loopman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Iseki 4270, David Brown 990. Ford 4500, John Deere STX38, BHB Bobcat
Hi,
I have a Ford 4500 Tractor Loader Backhoe and I was wondering what the feeling is about rear wheel weights on this machine.

To me, it seems to be overkill to have the weights (on it when I purchased the rig) on the rear wheels when used with the backhoe, surely the ton/s of steel in the backhoe would be enough to counteract loader bucket weights when operating? I have seen a few pictures online of this model and none have rear wheel weights. My thinking is that they were left on when the machine may have been used as a loader only (i.e. with the backhoe removed) ??

Cheers.
Brian.

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #2  
No you do not need weights on a 4500 TBL. I had a 3500 and a neighbor has a 4500. With both it is a larger problem traveling in higher gears without weight in the front bucket especially uphill. If you take the hoe off that's a different story.

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights?
Mine gives me that uneasy feeling on the seat going up even mild inclines, have spent more time in reverse than forward moving around! (not quite, but you get my point).

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #4  
I grew up with a 3500 backhoe....no wheel weights...must have been used without backhoe

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #5  
No you do not need weights on a 4500 TBL. I had a 3500 and a neighbor has a 4500. With both it is a larger problem traveling in higher gears without weight in the front bucket especially uphill. If you take the hoe off that's a different story.
The hoe is plenty weight enough for that machine. If your worried about lifting with that loader, its capacity is 4500 pounds, and the backhoe counters that nicely. The 4500 is a tank.

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #6  
I had a 4500 TLB for 17 years and I agree with all of the above - it was light in the front, no wheel weights required. And, yes, it was a tank.

/ Ford 4500 TLB - Weights? #7  
Do a few wheelies to get used to the front end bouncing off the ground in road gear. Actually, the backhoe bucket will act like a bogie if its left slightly down in transport. In my youth I did demos for the press and accidentally did stuff like this while headed back to the barn. I still have a soft spot for those old 3500s and 4500s that I cut my teeth on. :cool: