temporary cover / tires

/ temporary cover / tires #1  

labplanting

Tractor
none
I have two questions that i would appreciate feedback on.

First, I am looking at purchasing a MX kubota and want to setup a temporary covered area before my barn is finished. Any advice for a inexpensive covered structure for an MX w loader?

Also, can someone explain the differences in AG, R1, R4, turf tires? My land has hills and gets muddy. Will mostly be using this for land management, fire breaks, road building / maintenance and a few acres of garden farming (75 acres total).

Thanks!

/ temporary cover / tires #2  
Can't help much with the shelter.

On the tires, though, I think your best choice would be the ag tires. R4s are strong and look cool but they aren't much on traction.

/ temporary cover / tires #3  
We have all three types: hill+mud=Ag tires.

/ temporary cover / tires #4  
...can someone explain the differences in AG, R1, R4, turf tires? ...
Ag=R1, Industrial=R4, Turf=R3... many debates over what is better but Ag/R1 gives the best traction in mud. Turf/R3 easiest on the lawn, not bad on snow (add chains and it really good), Indust./R4 strong, long ware, not great on traction not too bad on lawn.

As for the shelter... tractors were designed to live outdoors. Any cover is better than no cover.

/ temporary cover / tires #5  
I have two questions that i would appreciate feedback on.

First, I am looking at purchasing a MX kubota and want to setup a temporary covered area before my barn is finished. Any advice for a inexpensive covered structure for an MX w loader?

Also, can someone explain the differences in AG, R1, R4, turf tires? My land has hills and gets muddy. Will mostly be using this for land management, fire breaks, road building / maintenance and a few acres of garden farming (75 acres total).

Thanks!
Park it near the woods.

... The best tire type will depend on your soil type and use. R1 [Ags] are aggresive and directional. Typically they will give the most traction. In forward mode they are self cleaning and will dig their way thru sloppy stuf down to consolidated soil, thereby continuing to move in most conditions.

Sand is a problem [no consolidation]. In unconsolidated soil R4 and turf will offer an initial advantage because their relatively smooth tread presses the soil evenly and helps put it into consolidated form as it runs over it as if its pavement or hardpack. OTOH, the R1 aggressive pattern tends to stir the mobile soil up and "paddle" thru. Often a little less effective here, but always a bigger disturbance.

/ temporary cover / tires #6  
Ag=R1, Industrial=R4, Turf=R3... many debates over what is better but Ag/R1 gives the best traction in mud. Turf/R3 easiest on the lawn, not bad on snow (add chains and it really good), Indust./R4 strong, long ware, not great on traction not too bad on lawn.

As for the shelter... tractors were designed to live outdoors. Any cover is better than no cover.

Well said!

My pick would be R1s. R4s have an aggressive/industrial look that may sell a lot of tractors, But I would still want R1s.

/ temporary cover / tires
So the tractor will be delivered next Wednesday. Still has 14 months left on warranty, MX5100 w Loader, 6' box blade, 6' harrows, Used 6' LP Bush Hog. Dealer will add canopy, make sure all service is up to date and rhino line footplate area and deliver. Anything else I should check or have them check? It was a little difficult getting into low range but dealer said he will adjust that before delivery.

Any implements I could use to help pull out stumps? Besides a backhoe! I have read about shovel attachments for the bucket that could help dig around the stumps.

Two more questions, what is the best way to skid logs from the 3pt while protecting the PTO? Also, what size / quality trailer should I be looking at for moving this tractor around? Tow vehicle is a whole other issue I need to address but I really don't plan to move it around very much.

/ temporary cover / tires #10  
Any implements I could use to help pull out stumps? Besides a backhoe! I have read about shovel attachments for the bucket that could help dig around the stumps.
I purchase a "stump bucket" found it to be about useless and sold it quickly.Can't see what you are doing,about impossible to dig a ditch;you have to straddle the ditch and then back out.