Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal #1  

peachhead

Greetings from Georgia, first time poster (I think- no, apparently I now have 4 posts)...I've been a member here for a while and have greedily sucked information for all these years without giving any. Well, I've had this Ford 3000 since 2006 and now maybe I figure I might have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but from now on I will try to be a giver and not just a taker. Nice people here and a veritable Library of Congress of information on these old Fords. I started off looking for a 2000 and ended up with a 3000 and sometimes I wish I had a 4 or 5000 with a FEL but I don't reckon I ever will. I'd probably just tear it up anyway :laughing:

My 3000 is a 1967 model so that makes it as old as I am but in much better shape. Right after I got it I had to replace the fuel tank, which was very interesting, and up until last year haven't had to do anything major (regular service- oil, filters, fuel filters, etc). Last year I started having some slow lift issues so I just got finished replacing/cleaning the hydraulic filter, screen and O rings and I need to drain the rear end and replace the rest of the fluid (that's next). If I ever do that again I will buy a hoist to make it easier but I hope I don't have to. That lift cover is freaking heavy.

Right now I am replacing the generator which quit charging. I debated going to an alternator and decided I would rather keep it original. Removed the generator today and then replaced the VR. Realized I should have done that first, then I could make sure the gen was ok before I took it off, a real duh moment. So I am going to put it back on tomorrow or Friday and test it. If I can keep it I will, if not the big problem that I have now is how the heck do I get the pulley off? Usually when I get to something like that there is some sort of hole to put a pin in so that it won't turn but here I don't see a thing. The manual is really no help unless I have to take it all the way apart. Anyway, any ideas on how to get the pulley and fan off would be greatly appreciated. I do know to polarize it when I get it all back together (Field to Battery according to the old VR cover) so I have a hope that I won't need the gen yet but I want to be prepared. Thanks for any and all advice!

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal #2  
Most people just use an impact wrench. Take it off and put it back on in seconds.

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal #3  
Here is what I do sometimes. Say I do not want to go to all of the trouble to remove the radiator/ AC condenser oil cooler etc. Lets say 4 mounting bolts. I have an extra long .38 drive breaker bar. I actually welded an extension piece on to a standard breaker bar just for removing fan hub bolts. I use that along with the correct socket and hold one of the fan blades. Break the bolts loose like that. And then walk the breaker bar around while rotating the fan with the breaker bar to remove the bolts. The fan shroud will be in the way but you can generally work around that. Now lets say it is a single large nut/ bolt holding the fan and pulley assembly to the fan and or water pump hub. I use the correct large combination wrench and my air chisel. I put one of the ball joint separator tools ( the u shaped ones ) into the air chisel and impact the edge of the combination wrench towards the extreme end of the wrench while holding one of the fan blades steady. The reason I use one of the u shaped tools is so that it does not does not slip off the edge of the wrench. Sort of logical. The impacting will loosen just about any fan hub bolt/nut just like that. Snap On does make this exact tool that I am describing but I am not a full time mechanic just a hobbyist. So this method works for me. Reverse the procedure for installation. Caution on some fan hub arrangements the threads are left handed. Just be careful you go the correct direction and it takes very little impacting to tighten the assembly. I have also used this air chisel method on other difficult fastener's where you cannot get a cheater on or there is limited hand or wrench clearance etc. That's all I have. Later.

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal
I just had another look at the generator and lo and behold, I think this may be the original generator. It's marked Lucas, the part number and what looks to be 3 67. If it is, I'm pretty ticked off that it only lasted this long... It may have been reman'd over the years at some point, I don't know. Anyway, I don't have an impact wrench; tried putting just the pulley in a vise but I'm afraid to crank down too hard on it, so I can't keep it from turning. I'm also assuming that this is a left handed thread- that's what it looks like to me but I could easily be wrong. Oldtimer66, I don't want to take the fan pulley off, just the generator pulley; sorry if I was not very clear. The generator has a pulley and a fan behind it that has to go on the new gen, if indeed the old one turns out bad. On one hand if it lasted this long it may not be bad; on the other hand, it lasted this long so it might be. Thanks for the replies so far.

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal #5  
Right hand thread. Hold the pulley with a chain wrench, or better yet, borrow or buy an impact wrench.

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal
Took your advice- bought a 1/2 inch impact wrench from Harbor Freight, put the gen in the vise, and one trigger squeeze later I am done. It was worth the money for sure. Got the new gen put in, new battery, polarized it and I am good to go. Everything's working as it should and I no longer have to see that annoying gen light. Appreciate the help!

/ Howdy, Thank You and How the Heck do I do this? Ford 3000 generator pulley removal #7  
AND to top it off, you have a new impact gun.:thumbsup: