Need advice on replacing lower lift pin

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #1  

Eric C

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere
I have an old box blade. The lock washer on one of the lower lift pins broke last time I used it. I now have gap between the nut and the box blade that allows the pin to wobble. The bolt and pin are very rusty. I can't seem to find anything to hold the outer side of the pin while I twist the bolt off. I soaked it for a couple days with PB Blaster before I tried to remove. Anything I put through the hole in the pin bends and vice-grips just slip. Any tricks or do i just need to cut it off and buy a new one? I just hate to cut it off when all it needs is a washer. Thanks.

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #2  
Let the blaster soak for a couple of days-this will make a big difference. The old standby of heat will help. A large phillips screw driver through the pin hole and blocked so it will not spin. Get on the nut with a socket and breaker bar with a cheater pipe on the breaker. Air or electric impact gun. Pipe wrench will hold the round pin, but using the hole is easier.

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #3  
I like to give another shot of PB Blaster after the heat. I don't have an Oxy-Acetylene setup so I use Mapp gas as it is hotter than propane.
Then of course is the rattle gun is very handy. :)

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #4  
You fella's really need to try the 50/50 mix of Acetone & ATF sometime. Works better than Kroil or, PB Blaster.

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin
Ok. I soaked it with PB for several days before I tried. I put a large screwdrivers in the hole and it started to flex. Didn't want to ruin it. I can turn bolt with cheater bar, I just can't hold other side. I only have a small impact and it won't move it. I don't have a torch or other heat. I'm finding those are pretty handy for things like this and need to get one. Hadn't thought about pipe wrench. Great I idea 2458n, I will give that a try. Thanks for the idea.

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #6  
CountyLine® Draw Pin, Cat 1, S070208TSC this pin is $4. How much is PB Blaster?
I know, I know, the challenge is worth something...
Jim

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #7  
Use a smaller electric impact driver on the nut side. Being impact rather than raw torque it may not bend the types of items you put through the lynchpin hole to hold it. Impact is awesome at shaking loose the rust that builds up throughout the threads, if you have an impact that won't bend your tools you're holding it with, just let it hammer away till it shakes loose. All the methods above are great but I hadn't seen an impact mentioned. All the methods combined and patience, it will become breakable.

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #8  
Can you drill it out?

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #9  
I wouldn't over think this. I could buy a new link pin, with washer and nut, for $3.28. If the OP doesn't have a propane torch or any impact tool, the a hacksaw might just be the ticket?

/ Need advice on replacing lower lift pin #10  
Use a pipe wrench to hold the pin. If it makes marks on the pin you can smooth it with a grinder or file.