Newbie Question

/ Newbie Question #1  

GB4400

Tractor
John Deere 4400
Morning,

New member here. Purchased a John Deere 4400 tractor for my 5+ acres. I looked in all the manuals and still can't determine what the lever on the right side does. (mounted on fender) It moves froward and reverse, and puts a load on the engine.

Thanks for answering, when you stop laughing.

Enjoy your day.

GB

/ Newbie Question #2  
:welcome:
To TBN GB from Alabama. I do not have a green tractor but on my tractor, the lever on the right side, raises and lowers the 3 point hitch.

/ Newbie Question #3  
I don't have green either but JD should have all the levers etc. explained in the owners manual or they did a very poor job unless of course it was an add on .

/ Newbie Question #4  
Hi. welcome. I just looked at some pics of the 4400. If you are talking about the tall lever at the right front of the seat I believe that is the lift control for the front hydraulics. With nothing attached you would be deadheading the fluid when you move the lever.

/ Newbie Question #5  
Tall lever on right and it puts a load on the engine would be the rear implement hydraulics. You'll find a set of hydraulic connectors in the rear of the tractor commonly called SCV. Your operator manual should give a complete description. BTW you don't want to engage the hydraulics without something hooked up as it places a large load on the engine called deadheading and could damage the pump.

/ Newbie Question
IMG_0313.jpg

Thanks for the help, but I don't believe are talking about the same thing. I have attached a photo. The lever I am talking about is is front of the cup holder. RPW is this lever for the rear as you said? I do have rear hydraulics, although no implements that require hydraulics. I know not to deadhead hydraulics; doing so would cause the relief valve to open, creating heat in the hydraulic system.

Thanks for all your help so far.

GB

/ Newbie Question #7  
I believe that lever is for the rear remotes if you use a top type tilt on a back blade or in my case I use mine for a rear finishing mower to level it on uneven ground. In the winter I use it for the rear snow blower to turn snow shoot different directions, depending on which way wind is blowing or where I want to blow snow to.
DevilDog

/ Newbie Question #8  
its for rear remotes

/ Newbie Question #9  
It is known as the third SCR (or something) There will be two quick disconnects at the rear for you to hook implements into that are controlled by this expensive option. The dealer installed mine so I could run a woodsplitter when what I needed was a "power beyond".... If you use it for a woodsplitter you will have to tie it back (or forward) but it can be used to operate a power angle on a snow plow or grader blade. I have also used mine to angle the chute on my snow blower. If you have nothing plugged into the QDs, then it tries to work against a "dead head" and loads down the engine.

/ Newbie Question #10  
Tall lever on right and it puts a load on the engine would be the rear implement hydraulics. You'll find a set of hydraulic connectors in the rear of the tractor commonly called SCV. Your operator manual should give a complete description. BTW you don't want to engage the hydraulics without something hooked up as it places a large load on the engine called deadheading and could damage the pump.

No you should not damage the pump there are relief valves in the system. It will drag the engine down while the relief sends the oil back to the tank.
When working on hydraulic systems in my shop we dead end to get the temp up in the hydraulics. Hydraulics have to be at operating pressure in order to have accurate testing.
In the winter time if a unit is outside you dead end to get the temp up as the whole system is warmed up. Makes it much easier on hyd hoses.:thumbsup: