Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Whats wrong with tier 4 #1  

KevT

Platinum Member
Gilchrist County side of High Springs, FL
Tractor
Kubota L3901 HST w/ FEL, ST2046
I keep reading posts about how much better the tier 3 is over the new tier 4 tractors. I will admit this is very much a short coming in my knowledge base. The only thing I can see about the tier 4 is that it burns the residue from the catalytic converter when it gets clogged. kinda like a self cleaning oven. Isn't that a good thing to have cleaner air from better exhaust? Yes, my new L3901 is a tier 4 and from everything I read (haven't had to cycle it yet) it doesn't even slow you down from working while it is doing it. So what am I missing? Besides this is a California requirement so everyone has to abide.

I figure if I don't ask, I'll never know

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #2  
I think what has made most people avoid tier4 is the additional cost and additional part numbers added to a machine everyone prefers be reasonably priced and uncomplicated. The regen/cleaning cycle also worries folk who work around dry dusty stuff that could easily catch fire with a machine bellowing out 1000+ degree exhaust gases.

Beyond the added price, added complication, and high temp exhaust during regens, they're fine motors.

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #3  
I was leary of the Tier 4 system until I bought my NH T4.75. Works like a dream and I would never know it was regenerating if it did not give a 3 second alert at the start and at the end of the cycle. I have no complaints at this point in time.

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #5  
It's the unknown factor... might be better, or maybe not. FYI, It's the Final Tier 4... the interim Tier 4 has been out since 2008.

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #6  
So far my Tier 4 experiences have been like others have said, it has been very unintrusive; wouldn't know it was regenerating if it didn't beep and tell me it was. People are scared of the unknown or the different, and the added the exhaust filter seems to scare people for the potential problems it may cause. People also do not like that the government mandated these emissions, but the government also mandated Tiers 1-3 emission levels.

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #7  
In my opinion the cost benefit analysis of having hobby tractors adhere to these standards is unjustified. If the EPA wants to make a true difference then eliminate the ethenol mandate. Of course, big agriculture (ADM et al) would never allow their congressional lackies do this. Done ranting - sorry ��

/ Whats wrong with tier 4
In my opinion the cost benefit analysis of having hobby tractors adhere to these standards is unjustified. If the EPA wants to make a true difference then eliminate the ethenol mandate. Of course, big agriculture (ADM et al) would never allow their congressional lackies do this. Done ranting - sorry ��

First, never be sorry for having an opinion, that is why we live in this country and why many of us spent time defending it. That said... what do you consider a "Hobby Tractor"? Yes mine is a small 37hp, and yes I like working the land with it (now if I only knew what I was doing) but I don't consider it a hobby. My wife cans the food we raise in the garden for us to eat all year long, My pastures feed the animals (goats, zebu) that produce off spring we sell and eat. To me this is not a hobby but a way of life I have worked hard to get.

Okay now I am done ranting...:thumbsup:

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #9  
Personally, I wouldn't buy one, and here's my thinking as to why,
this thing collects all the soot garbage (something like a wood stove pipe) but does a better job of it,
after so many hours (as opposed to 6 months for a wood stove) it clogs up generating allot of "heat".
So now, to get rid of this stuff, it has to get even "hotter". How long will these parts last before they need replacement and what will the cost be. No thanks.
But I can understand that you now have no choice in the matter when purchasing new,
because as we all know, the sky IS falling.:rolleyes:

/ Whats wrong with tier 4 #10  
Whats wrong with tier 4 emissions? Its adding much more complexity to the engine, adding electronic controls where there used to be none. (Tell me how electronics have helped to make anything better)? Its sacrificing fuel efficiency for the sake of having no evil smoke come out the exhaust pipe. Now your tractor will throw some stupid code because a sensor is reading wrong and will most likely shut the engine down. Just wait long enough and these electronic nightmares will cause way more problems than the previous proven mechanical tractors ever did. As an end user, I could care less whats coming out the exhaust as long is runs, is fuel efficient, and is easy for me to work on so im not limited to some high dollar an hour rip off shop to keep me running. Show me where there is all this high air pollution? Go back 100 yrs and tell me about high air pollution where everything used to be coal powered and smoke so think you couldn't see. Now that was emissions. Dont think we have that problem now do we? All the emissions thing is so the government can bleed us threw MORE regulations, MORE reasons to FINE us. Cost us more money to keep our engines running, Made repair cost skyrocket! Sorry but I will keep my old dinosaur running as long as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.