Do we "baby" our tractors too much?

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #11  
I guess I'll be one to disagree. I don't like paying a "pretty" premium. I look for functional and used looking, even down right ugly. The sheet metal, paint, etc aren't functional parts. Also when I look anything used, expecially well used, I want more than a 25% discount from new. It's great that you took such good care of them, but Kubota fluids used 500 hours ago doesn't add value today.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #12  
I'm sorta in the middle. I very rarely washed, and NEVER waxed my JD750.

I was absolutely religious about fluid and filter changes and greasing, and I kept after dings and paint issues. If you use a tractor hard (and I did...) minor dings happen. As long as the paint wasn't penetrated I left it. If bare metal was showing it got bumped out and sanded, primed and painted.

I don't have the time or inclination to detail my car and truck to the toothbrush and q-tip level, much less my tractor.

As to the "pretty premium" mentioned above, it actually makes me suspicious. If the tractor (or whatever) is spotless and waxed to a high sheen I immediately wonder what mechanical issues the owner is trying to distract me from. An awful lot of things have been sold with bright paint and sawdust in the transmission...

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #13  
I would have been willing to buy a nicely maintained good looking used tractor when I got my 3005, but the financing for used wasn't even an option, new was. And the price diffrence wasn't far enough apart to make it worth it eather.

I try to take good care of my stuff too, but my tractor is the only new one of the bunch. My FIL has a fleet of '70's era iron that powers his hay operation, sit in the fields all summer and some times all winter, dont get fixed untill they are dead broke... but they have been chuggin along since he bought them new. Yet they would still likely pull in a fair value if sent to market.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #14  
Being a new owner, WARRENTY was the biggest factor. My first tractor was used but every time I wanted to use it I had to fix something. The other thing I know from experience of selling other things (kayaks, guns, cameras, etc) is supply and demand as well as the right time of year.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #15  
Just a guess, but I think the lack of an FEL is why the B3200 isn't selling. Most folks buying a machine that large want it for the FEL. If they're just mowing grass they can spend far less and get a zero turn that will be faster.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #16  
Just a guess, but I think the lack of an FEL is why the B3200 isn't selling. Most folks buying a machine that large want it for the FEL. If they're just mowing grass they can spend far less and get a zero turn that will be faster.

I agree, this response is very likely more applicable than the others. The b3200 isn't really "big" enough to be used as a dedicated, non loader farm tractor. So, you're looking at mowing and light b'hogging tasks. Like mentioned, sometime can spend less on a mower, or slightly more, and get a loader.

Other points I agree with:
New vs used warranty.
New vs used financing.
New vs used pricing.

On the pricing, in my opinion, buying used has to be a substantial enough savings to negate the considerations already mentioned.

Good luck!

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #17  
I have to agree 100% with this. Very few people want just a tractor when they look at CUT's. Lack of FEL is going to limit your buyers to just a few and the price is a bit high I think for a bare tractor with MMM regardless of how well kept it is.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #18  
Then there are the 'city folks' that think that a tractor should depreciate like a car. (got a buddy like that)
Then there are those that think pretty and shiny indicates good maintenance. (paint brush overhauls)

Personally I prefer greasy globs around zerks, clean oil on dipstick, and a nice air filter.
A tractor is a TOOL and will show nicks, dents and scrapes, at least it should. If it doesn't then I worry as I wonder what is being hidden.

LOL, I once purchased a 'dozer that I fully intended to sell after about a year or two.
When they prepped it for delivery I made it a term of sale that I would be completely steamed B4 delivery.
First thing I did was a complete 'paint brush' overhaul as it was nice and clean.
When I sold it 2-3 years later it had that 'well maintained' look and first looker became the buyer.
It had just enough grease gobs and grime to give it the 'well maintained look'.
I got exactly my purchase price back! (after it earned 3 X purchase price)

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #19  
Consumers in general nowadays are stupid. They think low hours means it'll be more reliable. I'd gladly buy something meticulously cared for with more hours than something noone cared for with half the hours.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #20  
An observation I have made- I have never seen a good looking, shiny tractor that has not been well maintained internally. That's not to say that every tractor that does not look nice has been abused or mechanically neglected, but I know that if it looks good, it seems to be good!

Will