Do we "baby" our tractors too much?

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
I have been contiplating this question since I have been trying to sell my 2 kubota b series tractors. Here is my story.

I initially bought my b7800 and b3200 and planed to keep them for well over 15 years. I used them both commercially and thus put some hours on them. But, I took exceptional care of them in the form of full maintenance by the book with only kubota products, tractors were shed kept everynight and never seen road salt. They were washed and waxed yearly. Full walk around and fluid check everyday, greased everytime on time. No scratches, dents, or dings. I mean I did "work" them, but I did not abuse them.

Both tractors looked near show room condition if I would have taken the time to "detail" them. My point is, I would have loved to come across a used tractor like these if I was in the market. You would be getting a new looking tractor for a lot less then a new ones cost and it would have been maintained to last for years to come.

B 7800 buy cost $16k new. 1700hours. Replacement b3350 new cost $21k. (Equal options) I wanted $12k for it and it sold hard for $10k.

B 3200 buy cost $18k new. 700 hours. Replacement b3350 new cost $20k. I would like $13k for b3200 and I cant sell it.

Seems like people would jump on a non regen emmision tractor that looks new for $7k less then new. 700hours on these tractors is nothing from what I have seen kubotas go through. (I have been around a lot of high hour kubotas).

Now to my main point. I watched my neighbor sell his b7800, exact same set up, sell quick and for $14k, but it had only 322 hours, BUT it was hardly maintained, sat outside, rusted, dented, and such. I have also seen others sell quicker and easi ie r that just sat outside and they weren't maintained very good as I have talked with those owners.

All that extra work and time and money spent keeping my tractors in great shape, and from what I have experienced, it was a waste. I bet I would have been better off "just running the pi $$" out of them, leave them outside, dont change the oil as often, just advertise them for a couple thousand less, and i wouldnt still have the burden of still trying to sell them for what worth they are as how they were maintained.

I am selling both b tractors only because I needed a larger one, and guess what, that one was delerved in the road salt and I ain't washed it yet!

Now I am not saying anyone who likes a nice shiny tractor is wrong, but for me I am beginning to feel that anything more then just changing oils and greasing is overkill.

What do you think? Have I gone crazy?

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #2  
Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you. For that reason it's worth it. However, when it comes time to sell, my experience has been that machines sell at market price for the years and the hours. If it looks good and seems like it was kept indoors and maintained, it will move faster than if it doesn't, but won't necessarily command more than a few hundred bucks extra. I may have missed it, but you didn't mention what your selling with these tractors (loader etc.). If it's just the bare bones tractors, the price you want to get for them is way above the market.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #3  
If you ran those hours, and let the looks go down hill, Your asking price would appear ridiculous to many buyers.

The insides can't be seen, in spite of your service records. Some people only look to the most basic descriptions.

It would seem that the care you have taken would show to prospective buyers. I know it would to me.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much?
Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you. For that reason it's worth it. However, when it comes time to sell, my experience has been that machines sell at market price for the years and the hours. If it looks good and seems like it was kept indoors and maintained, it will move faster than if it doesn't, but won't necessarily command more than a few hundred bucks extra. I may have missed it, but you didn't mention what your selling with these tractors (loader etc.). If it's just the bare bones tractors, the price you want to get for them is way above the market.

Sorry, sometimes I get lazy typing alot.

b7800 year 2007, la402 front loader, 1000lb capacity clamp on forks, rear work light (kubota), r4 tires loaded, many extra oil, fuel, hyd filters. Everything worked perfectly.

b3200 year 2012, 60" mid mount mower, full set front weights, turf tires loaded, rear work light, hyd valve (no loader) everything works and looks perfectly. Also included if want, land pride 5 ft bushhog great shape.

Maybe my expectations are high, but still, seems like I would atleast get calls trying to dicker my price down. Dont know if its the hours scaring people away or if everyone just wants cheep.

Either way, my point of "I wasted my time maintaining these tractors SO pristine" still stays firm in my thoughts.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much?
If you ran those hours, and let the looks go down hill, Your asking price would appear ridiculous to many buyers.

But my point is I wouldnt ask as much for them if I didnt spend all that time and resources into them. I would have rather spent more time doing other things that were worth more to me if i knew it would be this hard to sell them for what i feel all that time i put into keeping them looking great.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #6  
Well, You can twist the situation into a brighter light.

How much did you depreciate those tractors in your business taxes?
You can look at that as a "discount" to the next buyer.

You will declare the income on the sale...right ;-)

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #7  
I keep my tractor in the garage. I change the engine oil every 250 hours. I have never changed any other oil. I grease it when I remember or it squeaks. I hardly ever wash it, tractors are made to get dirty. I have never waxed it. I use my tractors in the woods and they have a few minor dents.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #9  
I do,last thing I want to do hand over $$'s for dumb reason,for I enough dumb things already.

/ Do we "baby" our tractors too much? #10  
I have been contiplating this question since I have been trying to sell my 2 kubota b series tractors. Here is my story.

I initially bought my b7800 and b3200 and planed to keep them for well over 15 years. I used them both commercially and thus put some hours on them. But, I took exceptional care of them in the form of full maintenance by the book with only kubota products, tractors were shed kept everynight and never seen road salt. They were washed and waxed yearly. Full walk around and fluid check everyday, greased everytime on time. No scratches, dents, or dings. I mean I did "work" them, but I did not abuse them.

Both tractors looked near show room condition if I would have taken the time to "detail" them. My point is, I would have loved to come across a used tractor like these if I was in the market. You would be getting a new looking tractor for a lot less then a new ones cost and it would have been maintained to last for years to come.

B 7800 buy cost $16k new. 1700hours. Replacement b3350 new cost $21k. (Equal options) I wanted $12k for it and it sold hard for $10k.

B 3200 buy cost $18k new. 700 hours. Replacement b3350 new cost $20k. I would like $13k for b3200 and I cant sell it.

Seems like people would jump on a non regen emmision tractor that looks new for $7k less then new. 700hours on these tractors is nothing from what I have seen kubotas go through. (I have been around a lot of high hour kubotas).

Now to my main point. I watched my neighbor sell his b7800, exact same set up, sell quick and for $14k, but it had only 322 hours, BUT it was hardly maintained, sat outside, rusted, dented, and such. I have also seen others sell quicker and easi ie r that just sat outside and they weren't maintained very good as I have talked with those owners.

All that extra work and time and money spent keeping my tractors in great shape, and from what I have experienced, it was a waste. I bet I would have been better off "just running the pi $$" out of them, leave them outside, dont change the oil as often, just advertise them for a couple thousand less, and i wouldnt still have the burden of still trying to sell them for what worth they are as how they were maintained.

I am selling both b tractors only because I needed a larger one, and guess what, that one was delerved in the road salt and I ain't washed it yet!

Now I am not saying anyone who likes a nice shiny tractor is wrong, but for me I am beginning to feel that anything more then just changing oils and greasing is overkill.

What do you think? Have I gone crazy?
IMHO most folks buy new tractors for the warranty and 0% interest rates.Just 2 reasons they don,t buy used.I am also like you wash,wax,oil changes and keep it greased.Nothing wrong with any of that.