Alternator?

/ Alternator? #1  

Luath

Tractor
Kubota L4200
Hi,

Could somebody run me through the diagnosis a starting issue with a Kubota L4200. Ran it all day yesterday, stop start stuff. Left it for a couple of hours and attempted to restart and it sounded like a dead battery, just a clicking noise and a feeble effort to turn over. Changed out the battery with an old one, it started first time and I drove it home. Parked it, tried to restart and again same issue as before. The old battery had a 90% charge when I fitted it and the battery I removed (it's about a year old) registered as Lo on my charger and has taken a full charge overnight.

Many thanks,
Luath

/ Alternator? #2  
If you have a volt meter you should have about 13.8 volts minimum at the battery with all the light's on etc. 14.2 volts would be better but 13.8 will do. If you only have minimum voltage with the lights off then your alternator capacity is too small. Either convert to LED's or install a larger alternator. If the volts are less than 13.8 then it could be that your alternator needs to be repaired. All testing is done with the motor running. Alternators should be able to put out full voltage at an idle but not all do.

I've had this same problem on my 4410 John Deere. With auxiliary lights the alternator just couldn't keep up. I had to replace the battery and I now don't shut it off as much.

/ Alternator? #3  
I like your "nickname" mechanic,:p
Yep, make sure your alternator is charging like pms said,
check the wiring around it and fan belt tension first, "if it's not".
Thats where i would start first also, putting a good battery with a non charging alternator is pretty hard on a battery.