Ballast How much ballast is too much ballast?

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #11  
I use my backhoe and loaded tires for ballets. Together they weigh over 3k. My loader only lifts about 2000.

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #12  
When i had a 500# chipper on my tractor, i could only lift aprox 1,500# without lifting the rear end. My tractor specs show 2,700 capacity. With my new 1,000 concrete balkast and filled rears, i have easily lifted 2,200 pound pallet of concrete. 2,200 concrete plus 425# listed weight of forks = pretty dang close to spec for lift.... And the rears didnt even lift

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #13  
I have a smaller tractor (B2910) - the FEL is an LA 402 - the 402 number is the capacity (in kilos) to the bucket center ... in other words 885 lbs more or less. To the pivot pin, it's 1060 lbs.

Until I built my ballast block I used to use my box blade which is around 514 lbs or so. It was really too light (IMO)

(Additional note: My rear tires are unloaded, as I use the tractor as our primary mower and don't want to be rutting up and compacting the lawn)

I suspected that the PRV on my loader was set low and when I checked it I found that it was low by 200 psi. So I shimmed it and bumped it to 200 psi over the factory spec. Don't really know what my loader's lift capacity is now, but when I built the ballast block I wanted something beefy to take the weight off the front axle - especially having read of multiple instances of the front stub axles breaking on this series tractor.

The 3PH has a rated lift capacity of 1655 lbs I believe at the pins, and 1300 lbs 24" behind the pins.

When I built the ballast block I used enough concrete - 7.6 cu ft - to give the block a weight of 1140 lbs. In reality, it probably weighs closer to 1200 lbs, due to the amount of steel used in it's construction.

When I initially tried to pick it up with the 3PH it wouldn't lift it ... at least not without pulling the top link in all the way, to tip the block forward. And even then it would just barely pick it up.

Did some more checking and found the PRV for the 3PH was also set 200 psi below the factory spec. I added one 0.4 mm shim to the 3PH PRV and that allowed the 3PH pick up the ballast block easily with about 2000 psi (factory spec on this tractor is 1992 psi)

When I pick up the ballast block on the 3PH you can feel the tractor really squat down ... very noticeably ... probably from the tires squashing down a bit. I don't believe I'd ever noticed that with anything else on the 3PH.

It feels solid and really well planted on the ground now ...

I take it pretty easy when I have the ballast block on and don't go tearing around at speed over rough terrain.

I haven't used the tweaked up loader or the ballast block all that much yet ... but I know I can pick up the ballast block now with the loader using the pallet forks. Assuming my calcs on the weight are correct, it appears that the loader is capable of picking up more than it's rated capacity.

I also know I've picked up some logs with the pallet forks that I probably could not have before I added the ballast block and did the mods to the PRV's.

Having had the experience of almost flipping the tractor several times while doing loader work in my early experiences with it, I really like the idea of a little more ballast rather than a little less ballast. And the fact that the front axle is seeing less stress, as a consequence of being unloaded far more than it ever was with just my box blade is somewhat reassuring as well.

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

Last edited:
   / How much ballast is too much ballast? #14  
1417445525032.jpg

1700lb roughly counterweight and I don't think its quite enough with loaded rears and steel weights. I sure wish I could get cast rims! 3200lbs roughly at 24" on the 3pt, so I could have definitely went higher. I believe the 563 loader specs around 4,000lbs or so.

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #15  
View attachment 423050

1700lb roughly counterweight and I don't think its quite enough with loaded rears and steel weights. I sure wish I could get cast rims! 3200lbs roughly at 24" on the 3pt, so I could have definitely went higher. I believe the 563 loader specs around 4,000lbs or so.

Now that's a counter weight!!!

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #16  
View attachment 423050

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #17  

:thumbsup: yeah it is! I broke the pins on the drawbar that went through it. Cat 1 was not heavy enough with bushings! SO, I'm going to get some grade 8 bolts and weld them on!

/ How much ballast is too much ballast? #18  
I think the overall length of the tractor makes a big difference as well. The tractors with a shorter wheel base, (compacts) will need more ballast the ones with a longer wheel base, (row crop).

I have an Oliver 1655 row crop 70 hp tractor with a Dual 3100 loader, 3" lift cylinders. The loader is rated for up to a 150 hp tractor. I have 18.4-34 tires with calcium water. This works fine without additional weight/ballast for dirt work.

However, when I am using the grapple/forks for lifting whole trees up to 24" diameter, I have to have my boom on the back with the winch for ballast. (Approximately 500 lbs.)

/ How much ballast is too much ballast?
I had forgotten that my rear tires are loaded which obviouly markedly increases the rear ballast weight. My L3830 will lift 1400 lbs at 50 cm on the front end loader (LA723) and is rated to lift 2760lbs at 2ft for the 3pt. I guess with the mower and rear filled tires I am ballasting about 1400-1500lbs. It seems to be stable when I am hauling manure or turning the compost pile. Thanks for the info guys - very helpful. Mike