M7040suhd how many rpms when discing.

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #1  

williamdean

Tractor
kubota 7040suhd
Just purchased my first new tractor a Kubota M7040 suhd, I am curious on how many rpm I should be running when pulling a ten foot disc? today I ran it in 4wheel high range first gear at about 1800 it seemed to do fine it has 5 hours on it. Figured there is someone out there with the same set up. Ive had an old farmall 400 and a massey 231 before. and what rpm are you guys bushhogging at. Thanks............

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #2  
Better read the manual on breaking procedure. I would not want to be lugging a new engine.

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #3  
Bush hogging and rototilling work better if you run close to max rpm for you engine; you want the rotating elements to spin faster to get things chopped up. Slow speed on a hog will overload and slip the clutch or break the shear pin easier than the fattest speed. Discing I go slow to let it bight in, engine speed is not the key, it's where you are not lugging the engine and getting the result you want. This is what I have experienced, others may have a different approach.

Ron

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #4  
You have more horsepower than most of the owners on this site who have to push smaller engines to perform well. I use the old saying to gear up and throttle down. All that means is use your ears and listen to your engine. Pick a speed that doesn't rattle your fillings loose and see how high a gear you can drive that speed without the disc bouncing around and without the engine lugging down. And as mentioned, read the manual about break-in periods and lugging. Or call your salesman who just got a nice commission check on your sale and should be helpful.

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #5  
I would be running a pretty decent speed around 2k, I would also be shooting for around 5mph ground speed. Keeping the disc moving and working are the correct speeds are what you need to focus on. Then run an rpm where your engine doesn't lug when turning uphill or hitting a tough spot.

Happy tractoring!

Last edited:
   / M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #6  
Tandem Disc Harrow is a type of TILLER. It mixes soil when front gang cuts and throws soil OUT, then rear, wider gang collects soil and throws soil (less violently because of less aggressive pan position) IN.

You need to go fast enough to observe this in/out mixing, four to five miles per hour.

Optimal speed will vary depending on pan depth, first/second pass and soil moisture. You cannot use a "set" RPM.

Fasten your seat belt.

Are you confident about settings of your front/rear gang angles and spacing between left and right rear/collecting gangs?

Attachments

• DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 428
Last edited:
   / M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #7  
I run my M7040 at 2500 RPM (give or take a bit) in either LO-4 or HI-1 depending on the condition of the ground. Plowed ground is uncomfortable to disc at high speed while flat ground (spring discing) is done at higher speed.

Speed is between 4 - 5 mph. But I use an 8 foot disc. A 10 footer would be similar but lugging may be more of an issue.

Breaking in the tractor properly requires running it at different RPMs during the first 50 hours. Lugging it should be avoided at all costs.

/ M7040suhd how many rpms when discing. #8  
I'll be different, pull her wide open and hammer down, we are fixing to take a new deere to the hay field and that will be the way its gonna be ran