Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas?

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #11  
I'm with CurleyDave using paper towels, Bounty from Costco, for wiping off the zerk fittings before greasing and the extra that squeezes out if there's a lot of it.

I make sure to discard the greasy towels in the outside trash can because if it catches fire from spontaneous combustion, it'll do way less damage than if it was the one in the shop.

After using a pump gun for a few years I finally broke down and purchased a Lincoln 1162 air operated grease gun. I decided I didn't want a battery operated one because the battery would always be flat when I went to use it, and I've got air hoses long enough to get anywhere on the truck or tractor. I can even charge up a portable tank and take it out in the field because it doesn't use that much air.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #12  
I thought that cleaning up those areas was the domain of very old, well used, underwear. :)

Underwear doesn't seem to make it out to the shop. If I take it off dirty it goes into one of two places:

1) in the wash
or
2) in the trash

If it goes in the trash, it's gone of course. If it gets clean, I generally run it one more time while intending to throw it away that evening. Which doesn't seem to happen. It goes into the wash again, round and round until my wife performs an intervention.

its the wife's fault my tractor is greasy.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas?
Underwear doesn't seem to make it out to the shop. If I take it off dirty it goes into one of two places:

1) in the wash
or
2) in the trash

If it goes in the trash, it's gone of course. If it gets clean, I generally run it one more time while intending to throw it away that evening. Which doesn't seem to happen. It goes into the wash again, round and round until my wife performs an intervention.

its the wife's fault my tractor is greasy.
I am on the same program, Sodo! :laughing:

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #14  
Underwear doesn't seem to make it out to the shop. It goes into the wash again, round and round until my wife performs an intervention.

it's the wife's fault my tractor is greasy.

Your statement and logic is impeccable. :thumbsup:

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #15  
I have always left the small dab of grease on the zerk. I wipe it of the next time I grease. I have always been told to leave the grease there. It supposedly helps contamination from getting into the fitting by creating a barrier to dirt/dust.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #17  
I wipe off the zerk before greasing and try to wipe off the grease where it squirts out. My preferred towel is old socks because you can slip them on like a mitten or use them as a rag. I keep them in plastic Folgers "cans" around the shop. The left side zerk by the loader pivot I keep clean because I always touch in that area when I get on the tractor. Too bad they didn't put a handle there.

The first time I greased my BX25D backhoe was an experience. Now I know why farmers have big forearms.

Last edited:
   / Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #18  
I make sure to discard the greasy towels in the outside trash can because if it catches fire from spontaneous combustion, it'll do way less damage than if it was the one in the shop.

Vegetable-based oils and greases are prone to oxidization and thus fire (and within that a few are really much more prone, like classic Linseed Oil).

Petroleum-based oils and greases are not prone to oxidization and don't represent a spontaneous combustion hazard. Though I wouldn't recommend smoking next to a barrel full of gasoline soaked rags for other reasons :D

If you do put your oily rags of any type outside, still make sure you put them in a metal bin with metal lid, or if in plastic fill the barrel with water. I've seen folks who did throw them outside still end up losing the house on a windy day when the Linseed soaked rags ignited, spreading to leaves, spreading to the house.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas?
Vegetable-based oils and greases are prone to oxidization and thus fire (and within that a few are really much more prone, like classic Linseed Oil).

Petroleum-based oils and greases are not prone to oxidization and don't represent a spontaneous combustion hazard. Though I wouldn't recommend smoking next to a barrel full of gasoline soaked rags for other reasons :D

If you do put your oily rags of any type outside, still make sure you put them in a metal bin with metal lid, or if in plastic fill the barrel with water. I've seen folks who did throw them outside still end up losing the house on a windy day when the Linseed soaked rags ignited, spreading to leaves, spreading to the house.
Good advice!... or you can just burn them straight away and be done with that worry (if you can do that kind of thing in your neighborhood).

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #20  
I use these on the zerks for my equipment. ATV's, Tractors, Mowers, Trailers, Automobiles, ect. Even my yard windmill has one. If it has a grease zerk, it has the cap.

WP125449 Grease Fitting Caps - Grainger Industrial Supply

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mnEJVvZA_GJEwLYZh6qmL5w.jpg

Cool. Does the size cap you linked to fit all your zerks, or do you have to use different caps on various equipment?

You're supposed to grease a tractor? Who knew? Don't they come with factory grease, for life?!:eek: