Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas?

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
What do you folks do to keep the tractor clean around your zerks and squeeze out areas? I see a lot of pics of either barely used tractors or very **** caring of tractors. For those of you who do spend a little time detailing, curious to know your methods.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #2  
I understand what you're asking & it's an interesting question Mate...

but I thought that cleaning up those areas was the domain of very old, well used, underwear. :)

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #3  
Keep a spare tractor in the garage, washed and waxed. You never need to clean the zerks and you can show it to all your friends and brag about how well you care for your tractor. :cool:

I buy 'mechanics rags' in big bundles. As mentioned, t-shirts that have finally bit the dust are good candidates, too. I just wipe off excess, I don't 'clean'.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #4  
I only clean off the zerks when I grease. The dripping, drooling and slobbering grease that comes out at the joints stays there. It keeps water from migrating into the joints, for one and also the tractor is not my 'best of show' Packard.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #5  
I usually don't do anything to clean them. If it is somewhere like the front wheels on my zero turn lawn mower, I wipe those off so I don't get grease on me.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #6  
I just wipe the biggest blobs off after greasing so they don't end up on the floor, never wash the tractor.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #7  
I wipe the ends before snapping the grease gun on and wipe some of the drippings but not all of it.

I also use Morley's red silicon grease, water proof, high pressure rating and stays put, whatever that is called.
There are other red silicon grease out there but I started with Morley's and stuck with it.

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #8  
I only clean off the zerks when I grease. The dripping, drooling and slobbering grease that comes out at the joints stays there. It keeps water from migrating into the joints, for one and also the tractor is not my 'best of show' Packard.

Amen, I stop greasing when the new grease starts to weep. Dragon, your BX only has one zerk and that is out of sight under the floor board. I find using ground contact implements are mostly self cleaning once in use.

Ron

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #9  
I spray the area around the zerk and joint with WD40 and wipe'er down. keeps the area clean and keeps my wife from complaining about the grease she got on her when changing out the bucket or implements.:)

/ Cleaning around your zerks and grease areas? #10  
I think paper towels from Costco are less expensive than buying rags.

I clean the zerks before I grease, when what comes out of the joints gets to be a large amount I wipe it off and pressure wash the machine out in the woods. Maybe once a year or so.