Off-road (red dye) diesel

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #21  
In your case it is but you are using 35 gallons a week on average. The typical compact tractor person probably doesn't burn a whole lot more than that a year.

If you don't have a diesel pickup or pickups then red makes sense I just always find myself using my transfer tank to fill pickups and big trucks and thus the flexibility of not having red that is limited to off road is worth it to me.

Sounds like you use even more fuel than I. You might benefit from a second tank or one with 2 compartments.

My pickup that hauls the tank is diesel.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #22  
I finally found a place where I can buy from, about a 14 mile drive each way (happens to be through a scenic area, so that's a plus). I go get 55 gallons at a time. Saves me 40 cents per gallon over road diesel here, so it's reasonable.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #23  
I finally found a place where I can buy from, about a 14 mile drive each way (happens to be through a scenic area, so that's a plus). I go get 55 gallons at a time. Saves me 40 cents per gallon over road diesel here, so it's reasonable.

Yeah, definitely reasonable, $22 a barrel.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #24  

55 gallons * $0.40 = $22. Figuring your pickup gets 15, no, let's go 14 mpg, it costs you roughly $5 in gas (today's price was $2.42/gal) or $5.50 in diesel (Friday's price was $2.73/gal). $16 or $17 for each barrel you drag home. Long term, probably worth it. In a pinch, get it quickly closer to home.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #25  
55 gallons * $0.40 = $22. Figuring your pickup gets 15, no, let's go 14 mpg, it costs you roughly $5 in gas (today's price was $2.42/gal) or $5.50 in diesel (Friday's price was $2.73/gal). $16 or $17 for each barrel you drag home. Long term, probably worth it. In a pinch, get it quickly closer to home.

I guess I was assuming he was making the trip anyway? But maybe not? My fuel point is 6 miles from me. I never drive there just to get fuel.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #26  

I'd need to drive 4-5 miles to get to a regular fuel supplier anyhow, and my pickup averages 19-20 mpg, so it's even more favorable than that if we really want to get down to the math. I wish there was another excuse to make the trip, but it's just to another town 14 miles away basically, with nothing else there I can't get here. I do have a spare 55 gal drum that I could fill if I even needed 110 gals at a time, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Sadly, when I filled my 55 gal generator tank 1.5 years ago, diesel was a lot more expensive and I could only find on-road at that time. Spent almost $220 to fill that tank! Wouldn't you know it, we haven't had a single power outage since I spent the time/money on the generator either, so the fuel has been sitting there and only slowly going down from my monthly generator test runs (about 15 minutes each). I'm really waiting for a multi-day outage so I can demonstrate to my wife the whole investment in generator, storage tanks, transfer tank, etc was a good idea....

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #27  
I'm really waiting for a multi-day outage so I can demonstrate to my wife the whole investment in generator, storage tanks, transfer tank, etc was a good idea....

Be careful what you wish for!!!! :D

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #28  
For my tractor I just pump heating oil out of my tank for my house .

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel #29  
You guys are lucky. Here in Quebec the only legal usage of 'off road' is in a stationary generator*.
All tractors, dozers, etc must use taxed road fuel.
If caught the fuel police hand you an $800. fine. (yes they have mobile units that take samples).
Our gov't needs the taxes.

As usual it is not illegal to sell it, only illegal to use it.

Just today discovered a new tax. We now are taxed 11% on insurance premiums.

Then our hydro added a 2% tax to pay for installation of 'smart meters' to save themselves meter readers salaries. Sure someone would pay me to save money!

*and that mainly is because Hydro Quebec uses generators to power electricity in remote areas that are not served by power grids.

/ Off-road (red dye) diesel
It appears that in Texas, you now have to have a special tax exemption number to buy off road diesel. I burned about 30 gallons in April and the road tax is $0.245 here so it might save me $50/yr. I think I'm just going to get a 55g drum and pump regular diesel into it (I hate having to go get 5 gallong jugs filled and then using them to top off the tractor), keep good records and file the paperwork for the refund at the end of the year. It'll probably make more sense for me. $50 is worth taking the time to save receipts, keep records and file a form but not worth the hassle of getting the tax id number and setting up an account somewhere out of the way.

Thanks for all the feedback.