Help

/ Help #1  

awesomefx

Tractor
mtd
Hi all,
I need some help. I have a Mahendra Max22 tractor with about 90 hours. All had been well until today. I started aerating my yard this morning and when I finished a couple of hours later I decided why not fertalize as well. I spread one load of fertilizer and went to the shed to load more fertilizer and fuel. I shut down the tractor when fueling and when I tried to restart it will no longer run. The engine starts while the key is held in the start position but when the key is released it immediately stalls. A few notes, I checked all lights and they work, battery seems fine as I can restart repeatedly so I don't think that it is a electrical supply problem. I did notice that as long as I hold the key in the start position it will continue to run, only stalling when I release the key. Could this be some sort of safety interlock malfunctioning? My background, 40 years in electrical/electronics, pretty good knowledge of gas engines, pretty weak on diesel.

/ Help #2  
Yup, sounds like an electrical problem. Look for a loose/broken/disconnected wire from the start switch.

My first thought would be the fuel shutoff solenoid if so equipped. Haven't investigated exactly how those work so not sure why it would start and run with the key in the start position and die in the run position, but that's the only electrically controlled component on a diesel engine I'm aware of at the moment.

With all the Nanny State controls on recent tractors, it could be another engine control that I'm not aware of, or an operator presence switch, PTO switch or other interlock function.

Hopefully someone with more detailed knowledge will be along.

/ Help
Hey PHPaul, thanks for the response. I sure wish that they had included a wiring diagram in the owners manual.

/ Help
I think I found my problem. Using the info from a different thread on this website I went to the fuel solenoid and pulled the connector. Like others I found water inside...not sure how it got there, (my tractor is always in the garage when not being used) and blew it out with compressed air. Tried to start but same symptoms. knowing how solenoids can be finicky I provided a little mechanical agitation with a block of wood and the handle of a screwdriver, tried starting again and success! WooHoo. Thanks for the info folks.

/ Help #5  
Ah, good.

It's always nice to hear the results so we can file it away for when it happens to us!