Traction New Holland 5030 gear jamming

/ New Holland 5030 gear jamming #1  

Gavin Dixon

Tractor
New Holland 5030
Hi

My New Holland 5030 had new clutch installed about a year and a half ago and had new bearings put in gearbox a few months later. After the the gearbox job it sticks in gear and wont come out unless you switch the engine off. Then it runs forward or back slightly depending on gradient and frees up.It was split after this problem started and mechanic had pressure plate set, and said he saw no other problem with clutch, but it never remedied problem. This sticking happens about 80% of the time, getting worse the longer you work. It is a 4 x 4 tractor and some mechanics have said it has incorrect tyres on (back 14.9-36 on 13' rims and front 13.6-24 on 12" rims). To disprove that theory, or that that is cause of this problem, I removed 4 wheel drive-shaft and same occurs.

Anyone experienced similar problem? No one seems to know how to remedy this. I bought the tractor second hand, so not sure of year model.

Gavin

/ New Holland 5030 gear jamming #2  
I'm currently working on a tractor that is developing shifting issues, acts as if the clutch is dragging, hard to shift into or out of all gears and it's worse at high rpm.
I Have the clutch apart now and didn't find much wrong, re-set the release fingers, new pilot and release bearings. I expect to have the same issues when the tractor is back together tomorrow but we'll see.

Based on your description of events I'd suspect an issue with the transmission work that was done.
what was the original issue that prompted the clutch replacement and bearing repair in transmission?

/ New Holland 5030 gear jamming
I'm currently working on a tractor that is developing shifting issues, acts as if the clutch is dragging, hard to shift into or out of all gears and it's worse at high rpm.
I Have the clutch apart now and didn't find much wrong, re-set the release fingers, new pilot and release bearings. I expect to have the same issues when the tractor is back together tomorrow but we'll see.

Based on your description of events I'd suspect an issue with the transmission work that was done.
what was the original issue that prompted the clutch replacement and bearing repair in transmission?

Thanks for your response. Originally the gearbox was knocking and we found a broken tooth on a gear and so replaced damaged gears and bearings and at same time discovered that clutch was worn out. After that job there was no problem with the clutch. Then about 8 months later there was a noise again in gearbox and another mechanic found that a bearing had collapsed and general condition of bearings was bad. He replaced bearings with what he called good quallity bearings and at same time he said that clutch plate looked like wear was uneven so had the fly wheel skimmed. The problem started directly after I got tractor back and ever since which is for months now. He proclaims it has nothing to do with transmission, as he has done thousands of these boxes (same as Ford 4000. When I bought tractor, front diff was screwed up too. Had to replace crown wheel and pinion and get engineers to build up housing etc.

/ New Holland 5030 gear jamming #4  
If the flywheel was "skimed" incorrectly it could be a source of hard shifting, but with all the transmission work that's been done it's hard to know where to start.

Ive had some better luck with my tractor after putting it back together its shifting normally again.

/ New Holland 5030 gear jamming
Glad to hear yours is sorted. I think we must 1st look at clutch before stripping transmission again.