will i notice 5 hp?

/ will i notice 5 hp? #11  
if haven't ran either one you will never know the difference

/ will i notice 5 hp? #12  
That is a 15% increase. If most of your work will be using the PTO then get the extra HP. I'm glad I did just that with my JD 2720.

/ will i notice 5 hp? #13  
if you are considering spending that kind of $ on "extra" hp, have you looked at the next model up? what is the hp increase? what is that price increase compared to 3K? what might be your future needs compared to current? checking out all the ops is wise before jumping into the lion's den of purchase. wise to post here as you have done best

/ will i notice 5 hp? #14  
Most CUT's run out of traction before running out of power.

yup

Will you notice the extra HP? Maybe, a little, but not enough to justify $3000 in my mind.

/ will i notice 5 hp? #15  
As has been said, if you haven't ran either machine, you wont miss what you never had. You will never get enough HP that you wont tax the engine in some circumstances. I run a 7 foot bush hog behind my LS P7010 (70 HP engine) and if I push it thru heavy grass, it will stall the engine down a few hundred RPM requiring me to clutch it till it picks back up. So the old 5 HP per foot rule can always be broken if you run fast enough.

/ will i notice 5 hp? #16  
There is a point at which a few extra HP is a non issue, but I don't think you are at that point yet. In that size tractor 5HP is a pretty significant difference and I would go with more HP, over the lifespan of a new tractor a few dollars really isn't going to matter that much in my opinion.

As mentioned, you might want to expand your search as $3000 should get you more than just a bit more HP.

/ will i notice 5 hp? #17  
twoodard04: lots of good advice here. in some ways, i agree that on the same model body, you may never know the 5 hp difference...otoh seems you have the bug for "more power" so this is the time to explore options (as triple r said) NOT after the fact (as i have done in the past) keep in mind, as you look to increased hp, other variables (esp in cut) come into play such as chassis weight & wheel size...both of those can make a huge difference in improved task performance. it all gets complicated esp when the wallet is involved. my suggestion is to take your time and not jump too quickly into the buying frenzy. been there too many times myself ;)

/ will i notice 5 hp? #18  
I would pay for the extra HP. My TC40DA has 33HP PTO and my Boomer 8N has 40HP PTO. That's 20% more on the Boomer 8N and I can tell a big difference with my 6' Bushhog. Especially when it's been too wet to mow and now everything is waist high.

/ will i notice 5 hp? #19  
Lots of variables, but in my mind it is always best to get the maximum available horsepower in the frame size that you have chosen. (that is if $$$ is not a problem) Have to say, I have NEVER heard that a person really likes their tractor, but they wish that they had bought the lesser HP model. I always figure better to have it and not need it :thumbsup: than to need it and not have it. :eek:

You mentioned that you are a do it once type of guy. Do yourself a favor and do a LOT of research. Look at tractors with both smaller and larger frame sizes, just so that you know or at least think that you know that you are getting the right machine for you and your conditions.

Very common for people with little or no tractor experience to get the wrong machine the first go around and typically it is a tractor that ends up being to small. :(

Keep asking questions and good luck. ;)

/ will i notice 5 hp? #20  
There is a point at which a few extra HP is a non issue, but I don't think you are at that point yet. In that size tractor 5HP is a pretty significant difference and I would go with more HP, over the lifespan of a new tractor a few dollars really isn't going to matter that much in my opinion.

As mentioned, you might want to expand your search as $3000 should get you more than just a bit more HP.

Basically my thoughts and experience on the subject as well.