3-Point Hitch Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do?

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #1  

PhilipT

Tractor
Ford 4100 Vineyard
Hello,

I have an small fertilizer spreader that I'd like to attach to my Italian Goldoni Universal (30hp) tractor. I have no issues in attachting it to the three-point hitch... but, I can't fit in the PTO shaft.
There's only a couple of inches between the PTO of the tractor and the attachment. In a stupid attempt to make it work, I cut the PTO shaft extremely short (+-2 inches each side), so that it would fit. Alas, as there is some 'play', the 2 parts separate as soon as I engage the PTO...

To further complicate thing, one end of the PTO shaft is welded onto the PTO connection of the attachment ...

I would appreciate it enormously if someone would have some suggestions on how to solve this properly.

Many thanks,
Philip

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    772.7 KB · Views: 707
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 533
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    712 KB · Views: 770
   / Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #2  
I think that pto shaft is ruined. It looks like there is I small pin (pic 2) that is holding the welded part of the pto to the spreader shaft. Can this pin be removed and a new pto shaft be purchased that is the correct length?

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #3  
There are several videos on youtube on the proper way to size and cut down a PTO shaft. I would suggest you watch a few of them. It does look like you will have to buy a new PTO shaft and start over. If you buy a new one, get one with the same type of tube that yours already has. In case you don't realize it, there are several different designs of the tubes that are used on PTO shafts.

Once you have the new PTO shaft, you can use the proper end to lengthen the end of your PTO shaft that is welded onto the attachment. You might need to cut a short sleeve (from the other section) to overlap so you can make good weld(s) and give it strength.

Once you've extended that end, then you should be able to resize the whole PTO shaft properly. I know this just a bunch of text and it might not be so easy to grasp what I'm trying to convey here without pictures, but I think if you buy the right PTO shaft, you should be able to get it going with some cutting and welding.

I am pretty sure that Tractor Supply sells a light duty PTO shaft that is sized for spreaders, when I bought one years ago, it was $99 dollars. It may be more than that now. Good luck.

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #4  
There are several videos on youtube on the proper way to size and cut down a PTO shaft. I would suggest you watch a few of them. It does look like you will have to buy a new PTO shaft and start over. If you buy a new one, get one with the same type of tube that yours already has. In case you don't realize it, there are several different designs of the tubes that are used on PTO shafts.

Once you have the new PTO shaft, you can use the proper end to lengthen the end of your PTO shaft that is welded onto the attachment. You might need to cut a short sleeve (from the other section) to overlap so you can make good weld(s) and give it strength.

Once you've extended that end, then you should be able to resize the whole PTO shaft properly. I know this just a bunch of text and it might not be so easy to grasp what I'm trying to convey here without pictures, but I think if you buy the right PTO shaft, you should be able to get it going with some cutting and welding.

I am pretty sure that Tractor Supply sells a light duty PTO shaft that is sized for spreaders, when I bought one years ago, it was $99 dollars. It may be more than that now. Good luck.

It is this or knock out the u-joint in the welded yoke, and set the new one back in it. IMO it is easier to weld it with a collar

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #5  
Suggest that you modify the spreader's hitch points so that it sits further back from the tractor - say about 3 or 4 inches. That will allow to use a longer pto shaft in order to reduce the severity of the angle over which the shaft has to travel when raising or lowering the implement - and therefore reducing the risk of the inner and outer shaft separating. Also a longer shaft will allow you to have more overlap for both parts of the shaft - allowing a stronger connection (and a small allowance for measurement errors for cutting the pto).

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #6  
Suggest that you modify the spreader's hitch points so that it sits further back from the tractor - say about 3 or 4 inches. That will allow to use a longer pto shaft in order to reduce the severity of the angle over which the shaft has to travel when raising or lowering the implement - and therefore reducing the risk of the inner and outer shaft separating. Also a longer shaft will allow you to have more overlap for both parts of the shaft - allowing a stronger connection (and a small allowance for measurement errors for cutting the pto).

:thumbsup:

Sounds like a good excuse to buy one of the quick-attach products.

Steve

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #7  
is it just me or does the tractor side of the pto shaft look like its not completely on the stub shaft coming off the tractor??

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do?
Thanks you so much for your suggestions, it gives a clear direction on how to proceed.

PS the PTO shaft was indeed not fully over the stub shaft, I temporarily positioned half-way just for a photo

/ Not enough space for PTO shaft - what to do? #10  
Is it just me or was that a one piece pto shaft? I can't see any male/female components.