Average runtime?

/ Average runtime? #11  
Be careful with averages, if you put one hand in a freezer and one hand in a hot oven the temperature should be a comfortable average. :laughing:

/ Average runtime? #12  
Here's a question: Do diesels have a bit of blow-by like gas engines, where fuel can accumulate in the oil until it evaporates and get's reclaimed/re-introduced by the evap system?
My son's car runs for just a couple minutes a day, but I tell him to make sure that every few days, plan a trip where it (oil & catalytic converter, etc...) gets up to temp so that "accumulations" can get burnt off.
Do diesels have the same issues?
Carbon build-up on in the top end?
Fuel/ moisture in the oil?
I use my tractor when and as needed, sometimes for 5 minutes..but I feel better if it gets up to temp after a few short cycles to evaporate moisture (and fuel?) out of the oil, etc... How real are my concerns? Don't know.

Blowby is gases/liquids that get by the rings in a cylinder.

Gassers have rings. Diesels have rings.

So the answer is yes...and possibly more since a diesel has a much higher compression.

/ Average runtime?
Wasn't trying to overthink anything or change my habits in any way, I just thought it might be interesting to get everyone's preferences. I don't think there really is a right or wrong answer 100% of the time. Just what folk do...

/ Average runtime? #15  
I fire it up for every little thing that needs done. I hardly ever run more than a couple hours at a time.

/ Average runtime? #16  
Whats the difference from running tractor for 30 minutes and taking the f350 diesel down the block to the store?

Wont hurt a thing.

I have 275,000 mi on the dodge and 58,000 on the ford. I hop in them to drive to the neighbors many times every week.

/ Average runtime? #17  
My thing is that I live about 60 miles from where I keep my tractor at, so I normally just get to use it on Saturdays. Tomorrow I'll be cutting the grass at my parents house, about an hour long job. I seldom use it for more than a couple hours at a time though.

/ Average runtime? #18  
I figure my tractors will long out last me so I will fire one up with what ever chore I have to do , that's what I bought them for . When mowing fields it is usually 2 or 3 hrs. at a time , doing snow removal 1 to 2 hrs. , garden work maybe half hr., for anything else it can be for any amount of time needed . If it only takes 5 mins. after a little warm up so be it .

/ Average runtime? #19  
I wish I had more jobs to be done that would give me the excuse to run it longer. But I've mounted the mower, dropped the FEL and mowed my entire lawn in 35 minutes flat (rain was coming). I try to make it last for an hour, but 3/4 acre with a 5 foot mower, I'd almost have to do it in reverse to stretch it much longer.

Edit: today I started it long enough to mount the FEL and fetch the grill back into the garage. It was supposed to be raining all day and I've got burgers and dogs to do for over 20 people. And it hasn't rained a drop since I did it 3 hours ago.

Last edited: