How to keep a tractor from getting stolen?

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #1  

bill allen

Tractor
ford 6610
I live on 10 open acres with a main road in front and a housing addition behind me. My house is about 800' off of a street that gets some traffic. I plan to buy a new tractor and later build a barn but for a while the tractor will be out in the open next to the house, about in the middle of my 10 acres. How can I make my tractor reasonably secure from theft under these conditions?

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #2  
Welcome to TBN......................

If a thief wants to steal a tractor they are going to get it. All you can do is make the process more time consuming. Thieves want a quick steal, not one that is going to take a while.

Some things you can do are:
1) Remove the battery and take it with you.
2) In lieu of battery removal, install a hidden safety switch to kill the power.
3) Jack one wheel up, remove one wheel and take it with you.
4) Depending on the tractor size, if small enough you may consider buying a 20' shipping container and lock it up inside.
5) Get full replacement insurance for the tractor and ask specific questions about how theft is covered.
6) Install a LoJack system on the tractor. (Expensive, can be defeated, can't be well hidden on a tractor)
7) Pull the main fuses and take them with you.
Its a sad world we live in where there is always someone willing to steal what someone else has. All we can do is make it harder to steal.

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #3  
The best "trick" I've read of is modifying the seat so if you do not disable the "explosive" it blows up in their <fill in the blank>.

I would suggest a spray of mace, red paint and skunk odor.

Of course testing would b tricky.

And we want PICTURES!!

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #4  
It really depends on the size of the tractor you are getting. If it small enough, you could secure it or barricade it, or even make a temporary lean on to to conceal it. No garage you could put it in?

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #5  
All good ideas, fortunately while I live in the middle of farm country, I know of only one instance of a tractor being taken and that was for a "joyride", no one I know of keeps tractors locked up in a barn or shed except during the winter. I have five in my open barn no more than twenty feet off a main county road, a deer stand went missing a few years ago, but no equipment or tractors. Ours are insured while on one of our farms.

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #6  
Welcome to TBN......................

If a thief wants to steal a tractor they are going to get it. All you can do is make the process more time consuming. Thieves want a quick steal, not one that is going to take a while.

Some things you can do are:
1) Remove the battery and take it with you.
2) In lieu of battery removal, install a hidden safety switch to kill the power.
3) Jack one wheel up, remove one wheel and take it with you.
4) Depending on the tractor size, if small enough you may consider buying a 20' shipping container and lock it up inside.
5) Get full replacement insurance for the tractor and ask specific questions about how theft is covered.
6) Install a LoJack system on the tractor. (Expensive, can be defeated, can't be well hidden on a tractor)
7) Pull the main fuses and take them with you.
Its a sad world we live in where there is always someone willing to steal what someone else has. All we can do is make it harder to steal.

Those are pretty much the options.
Personally, I would suggest 5, 2 and 4 (in that order). The container mainly so its out of sight and out of the weather, the shutoff switch (or battery disconnect) to discourage joyriders or casual thieves and the insurance policy to replace it if something happens to it.
I might also add a couple of high quality, hidden game cameras to watch the entrances to the container and/or the property so you can at least get a picture of the thieves.

Aaron Z

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #7  
The local dealer removes the large main fuse (usually near the starter under the cowl). It is an unusual size. A jumper wire could replace the fuse if the thieves find the fuse holder.

He also engages the PTO. The tractor can't be started with that safety switch engaged. If the seat has a safety switch you might want to unplug it. Also, putting the tractor in gear usually causes it to not start.

Thieves don't like to take time to figure out what needs to be fixed to start the tractor.

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #8  
Could also put a "lockout" tag on the tractor that says that the starter is bad which might help a thief to not look as hard for a 2ndary shutoff switch.

Aaron Z

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #9  
and a sign hanging from the steering wheel saying " smile , you're on camera "

/ How to keep a tractor from getting stolen? #10  
Tractor, UTV, Implements & Tools are locked in the barn about 5 miles from my house. They are all insured. I sleep fine :)