Mowing John Deere 1070 PTO Locked

/ John Deere 1070 PTO Locked #1  

BuzzyG

Bronze Member
I have a JD 1070 and was mowing with a brush hog when the PTO locked up and killed the engine. There is nothing hung up in the mower. Where do I begin to troubleshoot this thing?

Thanks!!

/ John Deere 1070 PTO Locked #2  
The parts diagrams show a fairly basic PTO system for this tractor. If it were mine, I would start by disengaging the PTO then try turning the output shaft by hand. Use a pipewrench if necessary. Try it in both directions. It should turn freely, smoothly, and quietly. If it does, then engage the PTO, block the clutch pedal down(assuming here, that the PTO clutch is controlled with the pedal?) then try turning the shaft again. It should of course, take considerably more effort, but should turn if things are working properly. By then you may have some idea where the problem lies, and can then decide where to go next. I would guess most of the gears and related parts involved would be accessible after removing the three point lift housing.

/ John Deere 1070 PTO Locked #3  
Shoot me your email and I'll send you a PDF of the Deere tech manual

Joe

/ John Deere 1070 PTO Locked
Thanks for the help. But I am still dead in the water. The tractor runs great, and the PTO and the mower are very free turning. It feels like I encounter some sort of switch that turns off the engine just before the PTO engages.

count@rhythmbee.com is the email address.

Thanks, Boys!! All is right with the world. Somehow I got some trash up under the seat that kept my significant weight from engaging the seat safety switch. All is well.

Thanks, Joecdeere, for the manual.