Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help??

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #1  

andypanda

Tractor
Foton
I have a 35 hp Foton Lovol tractor marketed through Northern tool. It has about 75 hrs on it. I was running a bush hog type mower and the motor strained in some heavy grass patch and now gets bogged down when placed in gear. I have tried each gear and hi-low range and have the same affect. Any ideas....could this be a clutch issue? .....it acts like the brakes have locked up??

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #2  
Does it roll freely on an incline? Hydro or gear? Can't see how bogging the motor would affect the brakes. All your fluids right up there? Did it overheat? Hmm
Jim

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help??
It has the shuttle shift, no hydrostatic transmission. it rolls freely (I think...I will check tonight). I ran the tractor for about an hour before this happened...so it was warm (temp gauge was not in red zone).

I just changed the transmission fluid at the 50 hr break-in period. I had a few fine pieces of iron on the magnetic drain plug (typical break-in iron filings, I think)....but the oil was not discolored. I checked the fluid after this happened and it was OK.

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #5  
So the issue is there without the PTO engaged? Just thinking about vegetation or something being wrapped around your spindle(s).

I disengaged the pto shaft and ran the pto...everything was spinning freely. Last night I put the tractor in neutral and pushed it backwards out of my driveway to check if it was rolling freely. I fired it up and the problem went away....not sure what this means?? I ran the tractor for about 15 minutes up and down my steep driveway with no problems. Tonight I will hook up my mower and put a load on the pto to see what happens.

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #7  
I don’t know how the shuttle works. Is it dry or wet? Smell the hydraulic oil for a burnt smell.

I have (parking) brakes on a mower that consist of bands around a drum. I have been driving on the road
and could smell something burning. Grass had clogged up that band, essentially acting as if the
brakes were dragging.. Usually just reversing a bit cleared it out. Not sure what kind of brakes
those things have.

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #8  
I'd lift up the mower and see if anything is wrapped around the spindle....just make sure you use jack stands or some other method to block it up just in case.

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #9  
If your brakes are wet (internal), there is no way they could get clogged, but external? This may be a possibility. Make sure your bush hog spindle turns freely.

/ Nortrac Foton 35 hp Transmission help?? #10  
The nortrac 35xt (foton 354te) doesnot have wet, internal brakes. It has dry brakes.

I to was thinking that somthing is wrapped/tangled under mower and that is where I check first. Good luck with your issue.