Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control?????

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
I notice all along road construction projects the contractors install about a foot tall plastic sheeting that appears to hinder errosion of freshly worked ground. It is usually near ditches and culverts.

Is this a state/federal law requiring it? Or part of the contract to build the road, or does it save some effort, like having to clean out culverts that fill with erroded soil?

Just curious. THANKS.

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #2  
I see it a lot in residential developement projects also. There is some in the neighboring property and it did a pretty good job of holding the soil back. Inexpensive also.

murph

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #3  
It's a slit fence, keeps the mud/muck/silt out of the the storm drainage system. AND it's a requirement to use it......at least here.

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #4  
From what I've seen, it must be a requirement almost everywhere now.

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #5  
It's a requirement here in Va. My contractor put up a mesh fence downhill from the excavation for my carriage house. When seeding my lawn I had to either put down sod, lots of straw with seed or use seed protector mats as sold at Lowes (or larger heavier duty ones at our local Southern States Supply). I see them using the seed protector mats all over the place around here. It's what I used on my bare ground and is great for keeping the soil and the seed in place and keeping the seed moist to germinate.

Ralph

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #6  
The contractor that installed our septic system used a slit fence to keep dirt out of our pond. The pond was constructed before we built the house. (A man's gotta have his priorities straight.) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I often wondered if these silt fences actually worked as intended.

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #7  
Hey Mike,

Why would your contractor use a slit fence to keep dirt out of the pond? That would be counter productive don't ya think? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Don

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #8  
Didn't ask him to put it up. But I guess he figured that if I spent good money to put that hole in the ground and fill it with water & fish then he was going to do his part to keep from filling it back in for me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That is an excavator worth remembering, except I can't remember his name..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #9  
One more time.....

Hey Mike,

Why would your contractor use a <font color="red"> slit </font> fence to keep dirt out of the pond? Wouldn't that be counter productive? If it was slit, don't ya think it would let a lot of stuff in? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Don

/ Roadside Plastic Barrier Errosion Control????? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I often wondered if these silt fences actually worked as intended. )</font>

I've been wondering about that, too. There's a lot of commerical construction going on near the shop building I'm remodeling, and all of them have the silt fences. I guess it must be a requirement. But, they are often installed haphazardly, and they all have an opening for equipment to get in and out -- and silt to get out! I couldn't help thinking that some politician, somewhere, owns a plastics company.