How much to charge bush hogging per acre

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #1  

C4Ranch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC
What's the going rate to cut an open field per acre?

No trees or thick brush involved, mostly grass and weeds.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #2  
Don't know. I made $45 per acre in 1985, but I had to trailer the tractor to Dallas. Usually I just stayed with my parents a few nights till I got all the tracts done.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #3  
The answer will greatly depend on your area you are operating in and your equipment. You might get $50 an acre in Dallas, but you would struggle to get that where I live.

You should figure out what it costs you to operate your equipment, tractor, bush hog, truck, trailer, insurance, fuel, etc... and then add on what you want to make for yourself. Then check if you are competitive for your area. This is how I do it atleast. This way I can really narrow down costs and become really competitive with the other guys.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #4  
I dont try to compete with anyone else. This isn't my bread and butter though. I do the jobs I want and charge what I think it's worth to me. If I'm to high, they are free to use someone else but if I have to come back and finish or fix someone else's work I try and honor my original price. Others will charge more to prove a point. I enjoy mowing on the side but it has to be worth it for me to be away from my family more than I am already. I know I'm not the cheapest around but I like to think I turn out a great product.

I'm more in the 75 per hour range depending on what needs mowing. If it's easy with no trees or stumps I might come down a little depending on how far away. But on the other hand, I have a neighbor that needs a few acres mowed and offered me $150. For her I'll do it and be happy. I'm off and don't have a reason not to help her out.

I've never run the numbers of expected life for the machine or depreciation/maintenance costs. I don't really care. When they come up I'll pay them, when the tractors worn out I'll buy another. No need to sweat the little stuff.

Brett

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #5  
Call your county farm agent. They will provide you a idea, and you can be added to their list of people to call.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #6  
It all depends on the number of acres. I haven't done any shredding for hire in years but when I did there were 1 acre lots I mowed for $75 because of the time it took to get there and unload and load and then there were 20 acre tracts I mowed for $25 an acre because it was a bigger area and I could be efficient at it.

It really depends on what size shredder and who your market is. If you have a 20' batwing and are mowing hundreds of acres a day it is going to be a lot cheaper per acre than mowing hobby farms.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #7  
Around here you should get at least $75/acre, or more depending on length, topography and content. Depending on how many acres you do per job, a discount may apply as the acreage increases.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #9  
Never did any custom shredding if I did I would constantly be worried about finding that item or object the land owner neglected or forgot to tell existed. Equipment repair cost today is astronomical especially on rotary cutter. An old T-Post can also destroy a not cheap tractor tire not to mention the ballast fluid leaking out.

Now with all that said, if I was doing shredding I would have a base price which I would arrive at by determining what it would cost time and equipment to shred a field with ground and terrain in the condition of a football field and then adjust the price up after looking at what an individual wanted shredded.

/ How much to charge bush hogging per acre #10  
Gator brings up a good point...

I have both liability insurance for the work I do, as well as damage insurance for my equipment. I definitely would recommend against anybody doing work for hire with their tractor without having appropriate insurance coverage; At best, doing so is irresponsible and lazy.