Help ID'ing Electrical Ignition Problem w/ JD2210 SCUT

/ Help ID'ing Electrical Ignition Problem w/ JD2210 SCUT #1  

ChinaSailor

Tractor
JD 2210
Morning Gentlemen,

Perhaps some of you will be able to help me with my JD2210 as the local Green Dealer has been unsuccessful, though they made lots of money on service-calls.

First, I love the JD2210, have had it for 11 years, it has been amazing in what it has accomplished, and I've recommended it to one and all where appropriate.

Problem: Over a year ago the 2210 from time to time just wouldn't start. It would crank fine but since no smoke was coming from the exhaust it was apparent that no fuel was getting to the cylinders. So the reasoning was that perhaps it was possibly electrical, ie; pump/injection not getting juice to operate or perhaps it was mechanical where the pump was worn out and not getting diesel to the heads.

(If it was both cranking fine AND smoke was coming from the exhaust but still not starting then at least I would know that the injection, pump, etc etc was working fine then that would lead me to find the problem elsewhere). had to be elsewhere).

The machine would work fine for a coupla weeks and months and then the problem would arise out of the blue, no rhyme or reason and I could not duplicate it. A few days would pass and I would try starting it once or twice a day, and then miraculously it would just start up and run as if there was never a problem. It would then run for days, weeks, months (or not) and then the next time I went to use it, it wouldnt start. Sometimes this was pretty dangerous since I have long and narrow slopes with grades upwards of 45 degrees that I have to work on.

Anyhow, the machine was put into the JD shop at least 4 or 5 times with almost $2k spent, but not resolution. They began a costly "if in doubt swap it out" program, which did not fix anything.

HOWEVER, after working all Spring with no problem the tractor wouldnt start yesterday! Today I began trying to see if I could find anything that be wrong, and began turning it over, waiting for a while, and turning it over again and I noticed that even when the tractor's brake was NOT engaged and I was NOT sitting on the seat for the sensor to be engaged that the tractor was STILL turning over!!!

Normally when you are trying to start the tractor and not sitting on the seat BOTH the transmission must be in the neutral position AND the brake needs to be set, if not then the tractor will not even try to start as no electrical power will be sent to the starter.

So when I noticed this it was like EUREKA! I now found an inconsistency - the tractor should not even try to be turning over but it is! So perhaps there is a short somewhere which is allowing electrical power to get to the starter, BUT working enough by not allowing the pump to work in getting diesel to the cylinders!

Question: Besides calling JD for a 5th or 6th service call and another $500. minimum is there anything that I can do here such as bypassing an electrical circuit that controls the "cut off" or something...

I need to get the tractor out of the garage and at least cut the 3 acres of grass...

Thanks for any and all help...

Regards,

Mike

/ Help ID'ing Electrical Ignition Problem w/ JD2210 SCUT #2  
Here's my thoughts on this, (assuming the injection pump itself is in good working order) it does sound electrical to me also.
The solenoid on the pump will not turn on unless certain conditions are met, I'm not familiar with your tractor but here are a few things to consider,,,
The seat safety feature must be in the correct position....
Machine must be in Neutral.....Brake may need to be engaged....
Oil level and or pressure must be up to par.....
All these features are controlled electrically, and all of them have two things in common,
they need power and a return to ground, so i would start checking for frayed wires, poor connections,
this includes fuses that feed these circuits, not just the fuse themselves but the connectors the fuse goes into for corrosion. Have you ever noticed the "corrosion" that builds up around battery terminal's,...well this also happens on connectors etc, ensure your "safety" devices are working properly, remove them and check them for proper operation.
These types of electrical problems are not that easy to find, patience and a electrical schematic will be your friend.
My first check would be the oil sensor and go from there.

/ Help ID'ing Electrical Ignition Problem w/ JD2210 SCUT #3  
Good advice from Skyhook. I'll add to clean ALL your electrical connections, especially the grounds.

/ Help ID'ing Electrical Ignition Problem w/ JD2210 SCUT #4  
I was thinking fuel delivery, not electrical, such a plugged fuel pick in the tank that clears enough to allow fuel flow after sitting and then plugs again later. I would back blow the fuel line to the fuel tank.