Surging

/ Surging #1  

GTS102

Tractor
Ferris is700
I purchased a new ZTR with a 27 hp Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf Engine. After just 22 hours of use the engine began surging. The dealer picked it up and serviced it, and said a secondary jet was clogged. Briggs & Stratton considered this a gas issue and would not cover the cost of the service. The dealer was nice enough not to charge for the service, and the mower is not surging since returned, although I have only used it for two hours since getting it back. When I mow, the gas I use I purchase the same day I use the mower from a busy gas station. I used an additive as the Briggs & Stratton manual suggests. Can a brand new engine with just 22 hours use filled with fresh gas develop a surging problem so quickly, or might this be a symptom of a bigger problem?

/ Surging #2  
While it is remotely possible that a piece of gasket or other debris got into the fuel system somewhere during assembly, a clogged jet is usually a result of contaminated fuel, not a manufacturing defect.

Make sure there is a fuel filter on the machine, change it if necessary, and use clean cans to store your fuel.

/ Surging #3  
It may have been some manufacturing debris left in the fuel system that didn't get flushed out at final assembly, before the engine got shipped to Kubota.

/ Surging #4  
Gts,

1. Use a Mr. Funnel. You can get them from o'reillys or tractor supply or amazon. It will filter your gas or diesel fuels and separate water as well as dirt etc..

2. Use non-ethanol or oxygenated off road gas.

3. Surging is often a symptom of moisture/water in the gas. So 1 + 2 above are focused on that. In addition . . just a very very small amount of gas dryer or gas treatment put in the tank AFTER using a Mr. FUNNEL. Underline the words very small :)

4. All of the above are about fuel and surging. Buying gas same day is not needed. Also busy stations might mean fresh gas but it doesn't mean water-free gas for many reasons.