Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #21  
I like the file idea also , I have a new rotary cutter and it slides on so hard . I do like fluid film so much better than wd 40 . Brake cleaner works great to clean off built up material on things .

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #22  
If the pto shaft gets a little heavy trying to connect it to the tractor, hang it on a bungee cord, a little higher than it would be if it was connected. It is much easier to push it down a little than holding it up.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #23  
I posted in this thread earlier and feel foolish now. As I said then I was expecting delivery of a 4066r within a week. I also took delivery of a Woods BB720X rotary cutter. Both are larger than my old 4710 and Woods 60. (The 720 markedly so) I struggled to get the mower to work with my 11 year old imatch until I realized that from the dealer the 720 was set up for category 2 Quick Hitch. It took Fri and Sat morning to get that ironed out. I was going nuts after that trying to hook up the pto. The 720 is a much heavier duty machine than my old one but I wasn't prepared for the additional weight. The imatch made for very tight quarters and at 64 I am not strong enough to guide with one hand/arm and retract the stiff new collar. I came in and reread this thread at lunch time and the 2 tips about hanging the shaft with a bungee cord and using the telescoping feature by hooking up the pto when you were still a foot away from hooking up the Quick hitch looked promising . After lunch I repositioned the tractor, hung the shaft with the bungee and hooked it up on the first try.
I went out and mowed the strip between the road and my woods. It worked great. Still a few kinks to work out with the Quick Hitch attachment but wanted to thank eveyone for the good advice.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #24  
I came in and reread this thread at lunch time and the 2 tips about hanging the shaft with a bungee cord and using the telescoping feature by hooking up the pto when you were still a foot away from hooking up the Quick hitch looked promising . After lunch I repositioned the tractor, hung the shaft with the bungee and hooked it up on the first try.

Post #6:

"With my implements I find most of the coupling resistance comes from friction between the two-piece, plastic PTO shaft guards, not the splines. I move the tractor away from the implement so the PTO guards are spread, reducing friction from overlap. I also lube plastic shaft guards with talcum powder, where they overlap. I find this makes it much easier to shove the PTO female connection onto the tractor PTO splines. Then I back up the tractor and connect the two Lower Links and single Top Link."

I have 68 years behind me. I am glad this suggestion helped. One of these days I am going to apply Carnuba Wax to both sections of the plastic PTO guards as lube, in place of talcum powder. Talc is always on my work bench and it works OK, certainly better than no-Talc, but perhaps Carnuba Wax will provide lubricity superior to Talc.

Dry graphite would be another experiment.

If I were rich, I would provide a $1,000,000 prize at one-three-five year intervals to whoever devised the best way to improve ease of PTO connection in each of those time frames. Heck, I'm going to be a Sport: $2,000,000 at the five year interval.

Last edited:
   / Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #25  
Post #6:

If I were rich, I would provide a $1,000,000 prize at one-three-five year intervals to whoever devised the best way to improve ease of PTO connection in each of those time frames. Heck, I'm going to be a Sport: $2,000,000 at the five year interval.

If you were rich, you could save yourself most of that $1million if you just went and bought a Deltahook plate for each attachment. That would be my ultimate solution, but not until I hit the lottery!

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #26  
If you put the pto selector in the mid pto position the rear pto is out of gear. ... Turn the stub to line up.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #27  
The Deltahook would fix the 3 point connection problem, but you've still got to get off the tractor and monkey with hooking up the PTO shaft to the tractor.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #28  
Maybe you can make a shield fastened to the gearbox that covers the gear box area, but can be flipped up and out of the way for access.
As far as grease goes, I don't grease mine. I found it caused more problems by collecting dirt and gumming up. I clean mine with WD40 often (cleaning is about all it's used for at my place), and wipe dry. I apply a thin coat of fluid film occasionally, but wipe most of it off. I do this for the male and female ends of all my pto's, and it really makes it easier for me.
My NH TC40 ha one of these from the factory, it definitely makes the job easier. The whole 3pt an PTO hookup on this machine was one of the primary reasons I bought it.

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ???? #29  
Another interesting use for WD40, spray lubing/cleaning PTO splines.
YES, I also use it with good results.

When I plowed with my truck I also discovered it worked great to clean the hydraulic quick connects.
A can of WD40 is a permanent part of all my tool boxes.

With WD40, duct tape and vice grips a guy can fix just about anything!
Maybe add some bailing wire as well! (actually my favorite is 1/8" aluminum wire that the Hydro guys carry)

/ Tricks to join pto spline to drive shaft spline ????
If you put the pto selector in the mid pto position the rear pto is out of gear. ... Turn the stub to line up.

that does not seem to work on the BX2660 (and so probably all the BX model Kubotas)