3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #21  
If someone is careful with a 3pt backhoe they might be fine, but there's a much bigger safety margin against damage with a subframe unit.

as I said in my post above:

I had the top link on my 3pt mount break and it's a real thrill when that bh pivots down and you end up face down in the dirt in a hole straddling the boom.

editted to add:

I forgot about the time that one of the vertical lift rods that lift the lower 3 pt arms (don't know the proper terminology), the adjustable one, broke and the bh dropped sideways pretty quickly. I had to chain it up so I could get it home for repairs.

Last edited:
   / 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #22  
My brother has a 3 pt backhoe and he has mentioned several times how much more he likes using my sub frame backhoe. But he also says he can do everything I can but it takes longer

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #23  
For a small backhoe like my 5' I think the 3pt is ideal. Bigger than that I would go sub-frame mount, but I'd also need a bigger tractor. I wasn't going to spend $9000 for a backhoe that gets used less than 5 or 6 times a year. The 3-pt was $3200 shipped, with two buckets.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #24  
3pnt mount shouldn't even be an option imo... 4pnt lets you get the best digging potential out of your backhoe

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #25  
Hi all,
I just bought a 40 hp 4wd Massey Ferguson tractor/loader and have been toying with the idea of getting a backhoe attachment.
What do you all think about the 3 pt hitch vs a sub-frame mount?
I won't be using it for much, just an occasional hole for a pier on a deck job and such.
thanks,
dave

Seems to me I heard some manufacturers state warrantee is void on a new tractor if a three point backhoe is used. I know this isn't the case in this situation but they must have a valid reason for the exclusion.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #26  
A 3pnt is not designed to take that kind of pressure... they are made to lift, pull, drop... that is all.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #27  
3pt is one issue. but it is also the "bolts" between rear end / final drive of tractor going to the transmission, then transmission going to the engine block / front frame. there is no actual solid frame between front engine block going all the way to the 3 pt hitch. a sub frame. is just that. adding frame work from the front engine block /frame work, and running that frame all the way back to the hoe.

so yes you don't destroy the 3pt hitch, but you are also not twisting the living daylights out of all the bolts in between 3pt hitch and front tires / FEL (front end loader)

==========
www.tractorhouse.com = lots of agriculture stuff. but no really individual landscaping items. good for finding basic tractors. with and without fel. with and without 4x4 and like.

http://www.machinerytrader.com = finding industrial equipment. more so TLB (tractor loader backhoes) that you might see running around town and on roads. (cities, townships, state, larger buisness run) these TLB's normally the backhoe does not come off so you can have access to a 3pt hitch.

a regular tractor from tractor house with a subframe / 3pt hich backhoe. will give you access to 3pt hitch.

some other options are a "mini ex" mini excavator. they can be very verstile. the track units. and the near 360 degree turn they have. without moving the tracks, and just getting into small spaces. or even driving over a trench if need be. they can be some pretty good machines.

you also have towable backhoes. ((hook up to back of a pick truck, like a trailer))

for myself. i went with a industrial TLB. a old ford 555C 80HP unit. so much more power and overall reach. i was not able to get a multi purpose tractor like i wanted ""regular agirculture tractor with 3pt hitch"" but overall the ford 555c i able to dig out much bigger tree stumps. do some major re-landscaping with it. granted the farm looks rather ugly. and very rough at moment. but once i get done with some of the major larger doings. i will end up selling it. and then go with an small agriculture tractor, with a 3pt hitch subframe backhoe. and spend cash on some additional 3pt hitch implements. clean up work and add finial touches to things.

another option is a skid steer with a backhoe attachment.

a towable backhoe. (shakes head no) it was cheapest option i found (used) but was not useful at all for me. to much limit range / options of needing to have it hooked to a truck or tractor to move it.

=======
mini ex. may still be in works after this bigger TLB gets sold. but it is very doubtful. running i want to call it 76 acres farm. 20 to 30 acres = woods / pasture, a couple acres of lakes, and rest fields. i have about 2 miles of straight drive / dirt roads i need to deal with. and a mini ex would simple be "to slow"

a skidsteer for me would also be to slow. driving 15 to 20 minutes from point A to point B. *shakes head no* 3 to 5 minutes ok. a skidsteer also has a very low gorund clearance, i have lots of hills, 2 lakes, a stream, and various water ways in fields. other words lots of mud and ditches i would most likely get stuck in.

so for me a TLB ended up shinning. to re work the old farm. and get it back to were it needs to be. once big stuff is done. cut the HP down to say around 30 hp tractor maybe 40 HP. and go with a 3pt hitch backhoe with sub frame. the 3pt hitch and all the stuff that connects to 3 pt hit is way to variable to completely loose.

==========
so additional things... i have used the TLB. to pull fence posts. to push in metal T posts. go down fence line. someone grabs a T post taps it with hammer. i swing backhoe out. push T push down. call it good and move on to the next one. putting culvert pipes, running new gas, eletrical, internet telphone cables between sheds / house. pulling out rather large tree stumps. ((i worked every part around the pressure relief valves going off on a couple stumps and getting it moved)). to loading / unload truck and trailer with stuff.

to... 2 hand, 2 feet, octapus style of steering wheel, split brakes, shuttle shifter, FEL joystick, and backhoe and outriggers. to work my way out of some very ugly mud holes. that i didn't realize i got myself into, till it was to late.

having a swivel seat, that you can pull a lever and do a 180 degree turn = huge bonus with backhoe for me. it allowed quick and fast deployment. and able to move a lot of dirt. full bucket in FEL, plus full bucket in backhoe without much effort. along with moving down fence line dealing with posts. to moving around some tree stumps. ((getting on /off tractor seat, and then off tractor then climbing up on a backhoe seat. would end up killing me)) for some things. i would spend more time going between seats than actually getting things done.

i did a fair amount of moving dirt as well. a run off i can almost call it a stream from all the field drainage tile running into it. require lots and lots of dirt. to build up a spot for a road crossing, i still have yet to complete that project. i don't have a tooth bar for the FEL. and area taking dirt from is rather hard compacted. so end up using backhoe to break the dirt up and pile it. so i can easily run the FEL bucket right in, and achieve max bucket full of dirt. quickly and easily. and a quick turn around grab a bucket of dirt with backhoe. and then drive off to were the dirt is going.

with above said. most tractor manufactures have a select "series" that offer a 180 degree swivel seat tractor, with a 3pt hitch backhoe with subframe. with and without cab option.

as much diesel i have went through. the TLB has paid for itself. vs renting a smaller machine.
===========
buying "used" gets rather ugly rather fast.

buying used, for best bang for buck. i found buying a tractor out right that comes with a backhoe was cheaper. than trying to buy a tractor, and then finding a 3pt backhoe w/ sub frame that would fit it. granted this was 4 or so years ago i want to say. but still.

new and even used 3pt backhoes. 3pt backhoes really don't loose much cash from initial purchase price. at least over time i was looking to buy one.

i get 4 folks a year stopping by (different folks each time) asking to purchase the TLB i have. "heck" i did same thing before purchasing the one here at the farm now. most them all want a backhoe so it is there when they need it. and not having to deal with renting crud.

if you have a good full size pickup truck and a trailer. saving up form odd ball projects. and going off and renting a "mini ex" or a skid steer or like, more likely be a descent way of doing things. and many folks on tractorbynet do just that.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #28  
To the OP. I went through all this four years ago. Only some of the names and the dates have changed, but same song and dance. I have been using the 3-point for 4 years on my tiny tractor with ZERO issues. The physics of how backhoes work does not jive with what these "experts" are feeding you. It didn't jive four years ago, and doesn't jive now. I dare say my tiller puts more strain on the tractor than the backhoe. Bottom line: it is your money.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #29  
To the OP. I went through all this four years ago. Only some of the names and the dates have changed, but same song and dance. I have been using the 3-point for 4 years on my tiny tractor with ZERO issues. The physics of how backhoes work does not jive with what these "experts" are feeding you. It didn't jive four years ago, and doesn't jive now. I dare say my tiller puts more strain on the tractor than the backhoe. Bottom line: it is your money.

Physics aren't negotiable, or subject to opinion. If you put a load on the 3pt with a hoe that pushes down, it lifts the front of the tractor, and puts all the weight of the machine forward of the rear axle on the bolts that hold the rear end housing to the transmission. That's not negotiable...it's simply what has to happen. That's why you sometimes see tractors broken in half due to using 3pt hoes. It's also why subframe mounts bolt to the rear end housing and the transmission housing to make them effectively one piece, and not put all the strain on those bolts. This isn't in question, and it doesn't matter whether you think it "jives" or not.

A tiller doesn't put a downward load on the 3pt other than it's weight, which isn't all that much. It can put a rearward load on the 3pt, but those don't break things.

3pt hitches don't normally have down pressure, but backhoes do, and that's the difference. A backhoe can put a significant down pressure on the 3pt, where no other implement really can.

It's great you haven't run into a problem yet, but it's very possible that with such a small machine, the hoe can't put much of a load on anything.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount
Well I would like to thank you all for your time. I would like to clarify that I am not trying to justify the purchase for the need at work. I simply would like one and I'm sure I could put it to work on the jobsite. I will snap a pic tomorrow of how my tractor gets used. I think I will start looking for a sub frame mounted unit. I'm in no rush. The other benefit I think I would have from it is the counter ballast it would give me. I bought this tractor for work, I have forks on it with a 6' wide by 4' by 4' box for moving debris around the jobsite. I am planning on using for my firewood too, at the landing and at home, once it's palletized.
Thanks,
Dave