3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Hi all,
I just bought a 40 hp 4wd Massey Ferguson tractor/loader and have been toying with the idea of getting a backhoe attachment.
What do you all think about the 3 pt hitch vs a sub-frame mount?
I won't be using it for much, just an occasional hole for a pier on a deck job and such.
thanks,
dave

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #2  
Buy the sub frame - they are a much stronger connection and overall fairly easy to hook up. There is a lot of talk of people damaging their machines with the 3pt styles - I have never personally seen one damaged but I have always had subframes and they worked great.
Good luck

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #3  
For only real occasional use, a 3pt is ok if the 3pt is sturdy enough. That said, I've had both and would not want to go back to 3pt for 2 reasons:

1) they are very difficult to mount/remove compared to a frame mount.
2) there is sideways slop in a 3pt that you don't get in a frame mount.

MHO, YMMV

I had the top link on my 3pt mount break and it's a real thrill when that bh pivots down and you end up face down in the dirt in a hole straddling the boom.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount
Oldpilgrim, that doesn't sound like it would be any fun at all!
Thanks for the feedback code54
I'm just in the beginning of looking so no rush.
Happy 4th
dave

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #5  
My vote sub-frame as well. That's what I have with the woods and my B7510. It makes the hoe and tractor one unit, and provides extra weight to the tractor when the hoe is not mounted.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #6  
My take is that it depends on the operator. A good operator will not stress (abuse) the machine. I had a Woods 750 3-pt mounted backhoe that I popped on and off the tractor quite frequently as it was quite easy to do (with practice using the backhoe hydraulics to position/adjust alingnment) on three different tractors over nearly 20 years. But, I've operated backhoes since the mid-1960s with a thirty year hiatus. Anyway, for infrequent use I'd save a few $$$ and go 3-pt. Tighten the check chains and the lateral movement is eliminated. The PTO pump option is also nice and is my preference.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #7  
Except for people selling them, OptiMist is the first person I have ever heard recommend the 3pth hoe. Although he does specify "a good operator"... I've only been Ho'in around for ten years or so and am still a long way from good.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #8  
No problems with my 3 point. Yes there is side to side motion in transit, but once you get the stabilizers down not an issue. Easy to hook up and take off with the homemade dolly. Did have two loose bolts on the lower boom pinion after the last use. Tightened them up with red Loctite. It's a Liberty 5' that I've had for 4 years. Seems solid and have got between 70-80 hours on it.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #9  
I'd go with a subframe. The 3pts are hard to hook up, and I have heard of people damaging the machine. My subframe is solid as a rock.

/ 3 point backhoe vs sub-frame mount #10  
I personally chose the 4 point frame mount, in fact my 3300 is at the dealership right now getting it installed. Most people say they will only use it for light duty work, but most likely something more will be needed to be done at some point in the future then the limit of the 3 point will be pushed.