New Holland 545D Starting problem

/ New Holland 545D Starting problem #1  

gpick

Tractor
New Holland 545D, Bobcat T870
Hi All, I read the Sticky thread concerning a TC33 starting problems and my symptoms seem different so I am posting a new thread.

First a general question? Can a starter just be weak vs. failing altogether? My 545D has always had difficulty turning over when the temp was 45 degrees or less. I thought it was the battery lacking sufficient Cranking Amps since I had replaced it with a Napa battery with 845 CA instead of a much more expensive OEM version. The problem continued even after I installed a much bigger battery that was 1050 CA. Since we didn't have many days under 45 when I felt like working, I lived with it. Occasionally I would jump start it on a cold day and once it was warm there was never a problem. Now that I am trouble shooting a more severe problem I noticed the OEM replacement battery has only 675 CA so I am wondering if the starter has been weak all along.

When it fails to start as you turn the key the starter engages and turns the crank about 90 to 180 degrees, but then the starter gear releases and you hear it whirring for a second or two. It sounds like it turns enough to get one cylinder to puff but releases before compressing a second cylinder. The engine never needs to grind in order to start. If the starter will turn the crank enough to fire two cylinders it starts right up even in 40 degree weather.

Now the current situation:

A couple days ago I used the 545D to try to jumpstart my Bob Cat which had discharged it's battery because I left the key on. When I turned the Bob Cat key there was not enough power to start the Cat and the 545D engine stalled at the same time. I put the charger on the Bob Cat, recharged the battery and it is fine. I tried to restart the 545D and it engaged the starter but failed to start as I saw a spark coming from the positive terminal. I checked the connection, found it was loose so I tightened it and it started right up. We used it for several hours for 4 days without incident. Then on a return trip from the brush pile the tractor lost power and stalled like it ran out of fuel. However, there was plenty of fuel in the tank. Although it had cold started fine a few minutes before it would no longer crank and behaved as I described above. I charged the battery and even with a jumper the starter does not turn over enough to start. The starter seemed to have the same power with and without the jumper.

One last point. The 545D shuts down by turning the key so there is a solenoid activated fuel shut off. I am wondering if a short somewhere closed this relay thus causing the tractor stall. The stall should seem to be unrelated to the starter, but since both occurred at the same time it seems suspicious.

Thanks in advance.

/ New Holland 545D Starting problem #2  
You could try to clean and ensure the brushes on the startmotor is OK, a bad starter can draw a lot of power and be really slow to turn the engine. Try to measure voltage on the starter and if there are voltage loss between the batteri and the starter. Suppose you have checked for loose connections and lack of good connections from the battery.

/ New Holland 545D Starting problem
It was the starter. Replaced it and it spun the engine like it should. Will solve the hard to start problem in the winter. Got an after market unit for less than a battery.

If anyone else needs to replace the starter on a 545D it will come out if you remove the fuel filter. I used a Harbor Freight transfer pump tube to go over the line from the fuel tank. That stopped the fuel bath. Also, you need to raise the loader to the top so the safety bar will hold it. This could be a real problem because if the tractor won't start how do you raise the loader? Fortunately I have a Bobcat with a fork lift attachment so I put the forks under the 545D's bucket and raised it up till the safety bar could support it. This requires an assistant to operate the 545D's loader to relieve the hydraulic pressure. Once you get the fuel filter and starter cables out of the way it is pretty straight forward.

/ New Holland 545D Starting problem #4  
I'm glad you got that sorted out. The 545D is one heck of a skiploader. Funny that you mentioned having to use your Bobcat to raise the loader. I had the same problem the first time I worked on the undercarriage of my TR320. I had the bucket pushing down on a 4x4 to raise the front of the tracks off the ground. I needed to go to town to get a bolt and shut the thing off. It was enough time for the loader to bleed down just enough for the bucket cylinders to block the door by about 1/4". I had to use my tractor to raise the loader up so I could in the thing to start it. I hate swing open doors on skid steers!