Rebuild time?

/ Rebuild time? #1  

mgraham112

Gold Member
Tractor
long 2460 - belarus 250 - JD 4230 - Kioti DK40SE
How do you tell when it's time to rebuild? I'm going to start tearing down my 72 jd 4230 in the next few months for paint and I thought I would ask if it's even worth considering doing any preventative engine work when it's not smoking blue or white and very little black. It's got 5500 hours on it and no leaks that I can see. Is there any reason to get into gaskets or have anything checked like valves and so forth...? I only plan on taking the sheet metal off and painting. I assume the answer is no, but I dont like having regrets. I'm not aware of any prior engine work other than some fuel work like an injector or so

/ Rebuild time? #2  
If its gas, do a compression check.

/ Rebuild time? #3  
Wouldn't hurt to adjust the valves with 5500 hrs

/ Rebuild time? #4  
I would adjust the valves and if the injectors are original have them rebuilt or replaced, but if it is holding good oil pressure and shows no sign of problems I wouldn't open the engine up.

/ Rebuild time?
I'm so glad I asked so I can get prepared. Can the injectors be rebuilt? Anybody know if valve adjustment is something a novice shade tree mechanic can do on this tractor?

/ Rebuild time? #6  
I would adjust the valves and if the injectors are original have them rebuilt or replaced, but if it is holding good oil pressure and shows no sign of problems I wouldn't open the engine up.

I agree with this^^^^
Might also consider sending in an oil sample to get it an analysis.

You should be able to adjust the valve clearance with a feeler gauge and shop tools. I know nothing about it though.

/ Rebuild time?
Another good call on the oil sample. Who do you normally use, Ive never done that before.

/ Rebuild time? #8  
Last time I had to send in samples I sent them to Caterpillar, haven't sent any on the Deere squipment I have now. You can find testing labs easily on the net. I think Deere does testing as well.

The good thing is that the engine is easy to rebuild if it is needed in the future. Repainting after a rebuild would be simple too. If you want to know how good the motor is most large dealerships can test it on a dyno and monitor it. Personally if it runs well and seems strong enough I would leave it alone. Better to take the time to do a good paint job take all the covers off you need to paint it properly and check for any loose bolts or problems. Shifter boots, battery boxes rusted out, belts, hoses, cracked rubber lines (including the small return lines between injectors if it has them) and fix any thing you can that leaks. I would clean it after fixing everything that leaked and run it long enough to be sure you fixed all the problems. Make sure the air conditioner is clean too. Then change the hydraulic fluid. If it worked without problems for two weeks I would paint it.

/ Rebuild time? #9  
If it's not smoking, starts like always, makes no unusual noises, has normal oil pressure, I'd leave it alone.

/ Rebuild time? #10  
Maybe do the valves but I wouldn't do anything else if it's running good. I replaced the injectors on a backhoe once with 12000 hrs. and it didn't make a bit of dif. Sold the last BH with 15,000 hrs. and nothing but oil changes from day 1.