first Cub Cadet issue

/ first Cub Cadet issue #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I know there is a Cub Cadet forum but I'm posting this here as many people seem to ask what's a good lawn tractor to buy and the Cub is often mentioned with many other brands.

I bought my LT1046 in 2012 and have had not a single issue with it. I'm in my 4th season of using it and I'm very glad I got it.

Here's what happened today:

My brother lives next door and he is recovering from a broken neck. He's scheduled for major surgery next month. Obviously he can't mow his grass so I took the Cub over there to do it for him. My sister in law wanted to do it so I gave her directions on how to use it, she mowed and I talked with my brother.

When she was done, she ranted about how much she loved the machine and wanted one like it.

I got on it to drive it next door, started it up and it wouldn't move...front or back...tried everything with the pedals, brake lock, etc. Even when the hydro release wire at the back of the tractor was pulled, it was still immovable.

It acted like a gear was broken and jammed in the differential, but I don't even know if a hydrostatic drive has one.

I went home, got my Mahindra, drove it thru the woods, chained the rear end of the Cub to the 3pt, lifted it and dragged it home. In the barn, I lifted the Cub almost completely vertical and inspected the bottom, hoping I'd find a rod/lever or something that had fallen off.

What I did find was that there is a small disk on a splined shaft that is apparently a disk brake. While pushing the brake pedal, I noticed that the arm that has a cam on it on the brake wasn't moving and that the disk was bound up tight.

I pulled out a cotter pin, removed a nut, pulled of the arm and a spring under it and the disk brake 'caliper' released. I cleaned it up, put it all back together again, adjusted the tension on the brake and everything is all better now.

I can't figure out how/why the lever/cam was jammed. I saw nothing that would cause it.

Has anyone else had this issue? It's not a big deal as it took only about 10 minutes to fix, but I'm wondering if it will do it again in another 4 years.

I'm just glad it wasn't a busted gear somewhere.

/ first Cub Cadet issue #2  
I have a 2008 lt1050, going on 500 hours, kids beat the snot out of it, on my second deck eats drive belts. for all the complaining I do I have never had major breakdown, transmission bullet proof. I have yet to change the spark plug. Don,t get me wrong change oil take care of it. But she gets riden hard and put away wet. Good lawn tractor for the money.