actual use of tier 4

/ actual use of tier 4 #1  

bwalley

Tractor
LS XG3032,, Dixon ZTR
Anyone have actual experience with the new
tier. 4 engines? I read much about what
could be etc Looking at brochures from different Mfg of CUTs seems they each have their own way.

Last edited:
   / actual use of tier 4 #2  
Limited experience with my new L3901, and so far so good. You should be able to find a number of threads here on the topic, try doing a search. Have heard only positive overall from those that actually own one, and some "the sky is falling" from some who don't. Time will tell.

/ actual use of tier 4 #3  
Granted I only have 26 hours on my brand new John Deere 4052r cab but I like the fact that when I start the tractor in my shop there is very little diesel smell and no smoke to contend with compared to my Case DX45 which didn't smoke a lot but enough to be noticed. Also I don't have to use urea which is a bonus to me.

/ actual use of tier 4 #4  
Welcome to TBN................

I've had my tier 4 LS XR3037HC tractor since Feb. 2014. No problems here. Only have about 80 hours on it but it works fine. Mainly used for snow plowing (which I'm sure you are familiar with where you live) with occasional summer use moving dirt, stone, mowing, drilling post holes, and backhoe work.

/ actual use of tier 4
What are the "horror" stories that seem to be third party "shared" ? I'm researching info/data to purchase a CUT. Seems like for the long run it will be cheaper for me to buy new with 0% financing but it seems like there is much fear of this new tier 4 technology. Makes the "trigger finger" a bit unsteady. Thanks for the replies so far...will keep watching. I have sooo much to learn.

/ actual use of tier 4 #6  
No problems with my Tier 4 New Holland T4.75 If it did not buzz for a second and flash a symbol on the dash screen for a second I would never even know it was doing the regeneration process. Runs like a top!
PS- No fluids used on the Tier 4 New Hollands...

Last edited:
   / actual use of tier 4 #7  
I haven't heard any horror stories yet. Only concerns I've read about are regeneration cycles vary from brand to brand. Mine regenerates every 4-5 hours. Some go more hours before regen. Either way it usually doesn't affect use of tractor during regen. Only complaints you might hear about are when someone has to replace their DPF or any other emission control parts once the tractors hit 2000 hours or so from what I've heard. I don't think anyone here has a tier 4 with that many hours yet.
If you're concerned about tier 4 tractors check dealers to see if they have any tier 4 Interim tractors left but I don't think there are many left on the lots or buy used.

/ actual use of tier 4 #8  
I too was concerned about the tier 4 engines. I have 90 hours on my mx5200 and since I learned how regen works, no issues. Mine regens about every 20 to 22 hours and doesn't bother me much. The newer tier 4 engines seem to like to be run at higher rpms then the non tier 4. Mine is good on fuel and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to regen. I can now do the regen while I work, so very little bother/interuption during operation. No complaints SO FAR here.

/ actual use of tier 4 #9  
Limited experience with my new L3901, and so far so good. You should be able to find a number of threads here on the topic, try doing a search. Have heard only positive overall from those that actually own one, and some "the sky is falling" from some who don't. Time will tell.

Well said. Over the last year or so I've seen some dire predictions about Tier 4 from a few folks that don't have them. A few of the comments are based on past uneven experience with the roll-out of Tier 4 diesel truck engines. Don't know how applicable that will turn out to be for Tier 4 CUT engines. Only a little over 100 hrs on my Kioti NX4510HST, but they are fairly hard hrs, calling on full power most of the time in low and medium range. Only one regeneration cycle to date, possibly because of the way I've been using it. Haven't kept close track of fuel usage, but I estimate it's been about 1 gal per hr. Starts instantly even in cold (for No. VA) temps. Surprisingly smooth and quiet. Kioti uses the Exhaust Gas Recirculation approach to meet Tier 4 rules, as distinguished from the SCR method, which doses with Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Don't know which approach will prove best all round, but so far so good with my tractor.

/ actual use of tier 4 #10  
Some Kubota owners in cold climates have had problems. One is the oil separator on the closed crankcase ventilation system can get moisture and freeze blocking ventilation and increasing crankcase pressure until something gives. They have a retrofit kit out to resolve that problem. On my tractor apparently increased crankcase pressure caused turbo seal failure, all repaired under warranty. Some others have said auto regen foes not always go smoothly when running in cold weather at low engine speeds and low loads. Regen requires heat and if the parameters aren't met, the auto regen will fail and you have to do a parked regen. I had that happen once in 600 hours.