NH 451 broken mower bar

/ NH 451 broken mower bar #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
Before I start trying to repair....for sure not interested in attempting repairs that simply won't work.

Kind of surprised it broke where it did. Should I attempt welding? is that end of the bar replacable?

/ NH 451 broken mower bar #2  
The head is replaceable. Looks to be $100.00 through NH dealer. Depending on what knife you have, you can get the complete knife with head for under $200.00

/ NH 451 broken mower bar #3  
I would just replace it, like said above you can buy just the head or the complete sickle if it's in poor shape.

/ NH 451 broken mower bar
I would just replace it, like said above you can buy just the head or the complete sickle if it's in poor shape.

It broke a small piece of the bar the blades are mounted on...not just the head. Tempted to try a weld, but if there is enough pressure to break it at that point, the weld (my weld) probably won't work. Looks like the whole head was loosing up on the bar, indicating a lot of pressure going on. Mowing some wet slope areas...it got muddy, think the mud choked the bar enough to make things go south. I really need to buy a brush hog...no $$$$$ to do so.

/ NH 451 broken mower bar #7  
Yeah you can try a weld can't hurt , if it was setting there and I needed it or had to wait on parts I would try welding till I ordered one. If the rivets start to loosen and let things get some slop in them , that's when things can start breaking before you know it.

/ NH 451 broken mower bar

$112...might be my route. I was looking at that site, but couldn't sort out all the options...smooth, under serrated, big tooth...etc? How do you know that one is the right one?

/ NH 451 broken mower bar #9  
Yeah a bunch of choices :) basically each style cuts different types of grass and hay better than others, so you need to choose the style for what you use the cutter for the most. On that site when you select a sickle bar it shows at the bottom the type of cutting it's designed for. I mainly use mine to cut grass around my ponds and along roads and like the under serrated style.