Mowing Tractor problem or shredder issue?

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #1  

MisterB Tx

Tractor
Ford 1920
Hey folks, I have a 1988 model ford 1920. It's my first tractor and it has about 850 hours. It starts easily and runs well. So lately when I'm shredding it bogs down in just about any grass. That needs cutting. I've dropped down to lower gears, but it just seems to have no power. It doesnt really smoke maybe the tiniest bit of black smoke occasionally.
The shredder is a 5 foot rotary brush hog. It came with the tractor so I figured they used it with this tractor.
Am I asking too much of my little tractor?

Also, the blades on the shredder don't seem tight. They have a couple of inches of vertical play is that normal?

Thanks for any advice.

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #2  
Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your visits here. When you say "drop it down to a lower gear", what gear were you in to start with?? How tall or thick is the grass or brush that you are mowing?? Both of these make a big difference as to what speed you should be mowing it at. I typically mow in 1st gear when I am bush hogging, but if the land is smooth and the grass not too tall, I can run it in 2nd without bogging down.

A 5ft mower is a good size mower for that 32hp (engine hp) tractor, it would even run a 6ft mower with no trouble under the right conditions.

As for the blades having a lot of play, as long as they are not touching the bottom of the deck, it sounds like it's probably ok for now. Does the deck have a large circle (on the top side of the deck) where the ends of the blades have been contacting it and pushed up the deck some?? That's a fairly common trait you will see when you have loose blades or the pan/stumpjumper is loose. If it's doing that already, then you need to replace the blades and the bolts holding them in place now, not later!

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #3  
With my 1920 I'd generally cut in 2nd Range, 2nd Gear. In lighter cutting I could use 3rd, in heavier going its 1st. In really tough cutting it was 1st Range, 2nd or 3rd gear.

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #4  
:welcome:
To TBN Mr.B. As Kebo said, 32hp is plenty for that 5' brush hog. It does not sound right that it bogs down in any grass. With my 32hp tractor and 5' brush hog, I do not have any problems with any grass and even small trees. I normally run in 2nd or 3rd gear and only go down to 1st gear if it is trees or the terrain. It is only when I get over 3" trees that I find that even the slip clutch starts slipping.

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue?
Thanks everyone. I did start last summer mowing in 2nd range 2nd gear. Rarely in 3rd gear. Dropping down to 1st because of thick grass. Sometimes this season I've been running in 1st range sometimes in 1st gear.
I changed all my hydraulics last year because of water. Changed my oil so I knew how old it is. Last week changed fuel filter.
This tractor starts so fast, I have a hard time imagining an engine problem

The grass is high. We've had nearly 3 feet of rain this year in Texas. The terrain is slow rolling, no hills.

No indications of blades contacting the deck

Next thought was air.
If there was air in the lines from the fuel,filter change, would it even run? I did the bleed screw on the pump to get bubbles out.
And it starts and runs great

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #8  
Next thought was air.
If there was air in the lines from the fuel,filter change, would it even run? I did the bleed screw on the pump to get bubbles out.
And it starts and runs great

If there was air in the lines it might run, but it wouldn't run normally...you'd notice.

I ran a similar 5ft cutter on a Ford 8N with about half the PTO power you have, and it rarely bogged down. I'm not diesel mechanic, but I'm wondering if it could be a governor issue that's preventing it from maintaining normal power when a load is put on it...

/ Tractor problem or shredder issue? #10  
What condition is the air filter?
What condition is the suction hose between the air filter and engine? If it is soft it can collapse under load and cause a lack of power then when the load comes off, it will go back to normal shape. Very frustrating.