Hello as a new member MT180

/ Hello as a new member MT180 #1  

CooHead

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mits MT180
Hi there.
Just signed up to this user group.

Bought a used Mitsubishi MT180HM (what does the M mean? I see MT180H all the time).

It has 888 hours on it....i put one of those on it so far.
It is my first deisel machine.

60" mower deck and proper three point hitch. We will use it mostly for cutting the grass. But I already fabricated a drag for the 3PH to till/smooth/tear up our MX track.
Was leaking a bit of oil but found a loose fastner.
CHARGE light is always on but seems to charge the battery AOK. Previous owner said it has been on for years....since he bought it.
HEAT light comes on after 15 minutes of cutting grass, but then goes off when disengaging PTO and idling down. The belt was kind of loose, I tightened that see if it helps. Might have to take out thermostate and see if that is the issue. Did spray air and water through the radiator--> didnt help.

So, a bit of spark and smoke from the starter selenoid when I cranked it so investigated. Rusty and loose wires. Sure enough, the post snapped off. That is how I found this site, looking for where to buy a starter seloid for this machine.

Want to say Hi as will have more questions.
I am a member on a similiar site for dirtbikes and RC planes, so thinking there will be a lot of help here (hope).

Hi
CooHead

/ Hello as a new member MT180 #2  
Welcome and congratulations on the new tractor. There is a lot to learn here and I think one of the most important things you can learn about on TBN is safety. You said this is your first diesel machine. If it is your first tractor and/or you have little to no experience with tractors, I would recommend spending some time in the safety forum here. I am going to include a link to pto safety below just in case. This site has been invaluable to me in just what I have learned about safe practices on and around a tractor. If you are an old pro forgive me for the safety info.

It looks like "HM" is the designation for a hydro transmission. See link.

TractorData.com Mitsubishi MT180 tractor information

Power Take-Off Safety | TractorByNet.com ? Compact Tractor Resource

/ Hello as a new member MT180
Thanks.
We live in farm country and know the PTO on a machine is the most dargerous thing around.
I will be reading and learning all about everything.

We upgraded from a nice 20HP (gas) Kohler twin 50" YardMan. That is a simmple machine, this MT180 is a bit more serious.
The H does indeed mean it is hydro tranny...but the "M", not sure. Will find out at some point in my reading and surfing here.

Speaking of danger....just came in from doing some MX laps on our MX track around the house. Nothing huge, all the jumps are smaller 30footers. But pretty cool for a 51 year old dad. Way cooler than golf.

:)

CooHead