How do you chain down YOUR tractor?

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #1  

GreenYellow

Silver Member
Tractor
1994 John Deere 670 and 1948 John Deere B
I have to haul my tractor pretty often to maintain my inlaws' place and others. I have never really liked any of the options for chaining it down. I would like to stay off the lift arms and bars, but there are just almost no options to attach to the tractor frame. I picked up some 3/8" steel U's a while back to weld on, but I can't even decide where to weld them on. I've tried chains and straps in a zillion different ways.
Show me what you do...

Attachments

• image-1141727810.jpg
    image-1141727810.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 635
  • image-1572960122.jpg
    image-1572960122.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 630
   / How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #2  
The one time I had to have my Kubota taken back to the dealer - they came with one of those tilting bed trucks.

The tractor was secured to the bed of the truck with a heavy chain & chain tightener at all four corners. The chains were wrapped around each axle and then attached to the bed rails of the truck. I think any other location for attachment on the tractor is likely to cause damage - i.e., the arms of the 3-point, any part of the steering mechanism etc.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #3  
In the front I would put rings on the side frame right behind the weight bracket, or on the front crosspiece the weight bracket bolts to.

434253-how-do-you-chain-down-jd670side-jpg

In the rear, there is somewhere around the drawbar area to tie to, or mount a loop to.

434254-how-do-you-chain-down-jd670rear-jpg

Bruce

Attachments

• JD670side.jpg
    JD670side.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 2,366
  • jd670rear.jpg
    jd670rear.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 2,350
   / How do you chain down YOUR tractor?
Good news is, the front is easy. It already has holes that's are easy to deal with. No problem there. The rear is the problem... As I was driving to town just now, I was thinking I might put a ring or clevis in the drawbar hitch, and weld a ring in the floor of the trailer in the right spot. With a holesaw, I'd cut a 3" or 4" circle out of the deck and weld a ring/hook to the trailer frame there.
I almost always have the finish mower or brush hog on when I haul it. The mowers get in the way of trying to chain it down, but I'm not going to take them off. Just gotta work with them attached...
The drawbar thing may be the way to go...

Attachments

• image-3939619497.jpg
    image-3939619497.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 320
  • image-3920258530.jpg
    image-3920258530.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 483
   / How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #5  
I have hauled mine thousands of miles between where I use to live and here. I had a clevis that was a long type it was nothing but a piece of 3/8 metal that was bent with about an 8 to 10 inch long side and had an opening 2 inches in the middle. I think it came off a pull drag, I just it up to the draw bar and run a chain out to each side of the trailer and drove the tractor forward to tighten it. I had a loader on mine and I run a chain on each side of the loader frame to the tie down on my trailer. I then put binders on each chain front and back. I never had it move.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #6  
   / How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #7  
My tie down point on my trailer were welded on at where it was made and they were appox 3/4 in dia rod made in to a D ring style. Many states you have to have 4 chains on what ever you are hauling. Mine was legal at the time but I don't know what the regs are now. I don't trust anything that is fastened on thru the wood deck only.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #8  
I agree, would never trust one fastened to the wood deck only.

The ones I posted weld to the inside of the frame rail or to a crossmember, not to the wood only.

Bruce

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #9  
I welded 4 heavy duty D rings to the metal sides of the trailer, and I wrap chain through the D ring and wrap it around the axle where it meets the wheel. 4 chains, 4 wheels, each with ratchet binder makes a secure load.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor?
I agree. I would never trust the wood. I was talking about cutting a hole in it and welding a D ring to the crossmember. It's 3x3 angle, and every board is bolted through it. Plenty stout.

I really want something quick to hook/unhook.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet