BX2200 Starter Issue

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #1  

rodneylux

My starter just clicked when I turned the key, if you did it enough it would finally start. I got a new starter and it worked great for about a month now it is doing the same thing. Anyone else had starter issues with the BX2200?

Thanks,

Rodney

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #2  
Likely there is also a starter relay. It will look like a headlight relay. They can become erratic over time.
If you post a wiring diagram I can confirm it has one.
Checking the ground cable's attachment to the tractor engine or frame to ensure it is clean would be prudent.
Dave M7040

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #3  
Carefully check both cables from the battery out to where they each terminate. Sometimes, especially the ground cable may fail at the chassis, or internally from excessive corrosion. Sometime the positive cable will fail, thought usually less frequently. A high resistance through either cable can damage the starter, rendering it defective, when the problem/cause lies elsewhere. What hours/age on the tractor?

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #4  
My starter just clicked when I turned the key, if you did it enough it would finally start. I got a new starter and it worked great for about a month now it is doing the same thing. Anyone else had starter issues with the BX2200?

Thanks,

Rodney

If your battery has a cell that's going bad it can act like a bad connection and cause poor cranking also. Another thing to check .

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #5  
Yeah, my BX2200 does the same exact thing. Click, try again...click, then it will start as if absolutely nothing is wrong. But at other times it will start right up.

When the tractor has already been started, it restarts much more reliably.

I replaced the ignition switch with no improvement.

I'll have to try the recommendations in this thread. Presently, I suspect the battery or the connections to it. Sometimes a battery will appear to be fine, but won't have the amperage to turn the starter. That just happened on my M7040.

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #6  
I have the same problem with my BX22 when starting it. Turn the key and all I get is click click a few times and then it will start. I checked all the wires from the battery to the starter and all are tight. I took the starter off and took it apart looked at the brushes and all and they looked ok but I filed them anyway thinking it might work but it didn't. Next I went and got a new battery and it started right up the first time but after sitting a couple of days it was back to the same old thing. Changed the ignition switch and traced all those wires too. I have lived with this problem for about two years now and it doesn't seem to change I just have to turn the key a couple of times before it kicks in and starts of course the dealer wants me to bring it in and spend boo coos of money to have it fixed but I am to cheap to do that.

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #7  
My early BX2200 does the same thing only much worse . . . sometimes 45 or 50 'clicks'! I originally thought something was draining the battery as it sat for a long time between uses. I would get a fully charged battery out of the garage and replace the one on the tractor. It would then start right away with no clicks! I had the battery tested fully (load test and all) and it tested good! To make a long story short it wasn't replacing the battery that cured the clicking (temporarily) but it was the movement of the ground cable to the battery that temporarily cured the clicking problem. I have dealt with this condition for years but it always comes back! After much research I went to the location of where the ground cable connected. It is connected to a bolt and nut arrangement and a rear rubber motor mount! This cable is not even grounded directly to the motor! There are definitely a few ways to correct this problem: The first is to remove the ground termination at the rubber motor mount including the bolt thru the mount and clean both the frame and the bolt and nut . . . then wait for it to oxidize over time and you get the clicking back. The second way is to remove the and ground strap termination, clean them good an upon re-installation add a grounding strap from this termination and bolt the ground strap to the engine. This will stop the clicking and ensure cranking al the time. The third way to eliminate the problem is to stop by your nearest John Deere dealer and purchase their 'Starter Booster Kit' PART NUMBER: AM107421. This is a relay that provides a solid 12 volt and ground to the solenoid upon start. It costs about $32.00 plus tax. IMHO the second and third way are the the most reliable way to get rid of this problem! I have lived with this condition for years and finally went through the research of the problem and its solution! I'm so glad to have "reliability" back in my tractor!

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #8  
Yeah, this is an old thread but lefty525 is on to a fix.

I ended up purchasing a 42" new battery ground cable. Then threaded it through the firewall just like the OEM but instead, attached it to a bolt on the engine. The one I used was for the engine lifting removal ring. It is on the right side in the middle of the engine near the valve cover.

I also connected a #10 wire from the original battery cable mount to the same engine lifting bracket bolt just in case some other circuit needed a good connection. There is one other wire that attaches to that OEM battery ground bolt.

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #9  
My early BX2200 does the same thing only much worse . . . sometimes 45 or 50 'clicks'! I originally thought something was draining the battery as it sat for a long time between uses. I would get a fully charged battery out of the garage and replace the one on the tractor. It would then start right away with no clicks! I had the battery tested fully (load test and all) and it tested good! To make a long story short it wasn't replacing the battery that cured the clicking (temporarily) but it was the movement of the ground cable to the battery that temporarily cured the clicking problem. I have dealt with this condition for years but it always comes back! After much research I went to the location of where the ground cable connected. It is connected to a bolt and nut arrangement and a rear rubber motor mount! This cable is not even grounded directly to the motor! There are definitely a few ways to correct this problem: The first is to remove the ground termination at the rubber motor mount including the bolt thru the mount and clean both the frame and the bolt and nut . . . then wait for it to oxidize over time and you get the clicking back. The second way is to remove the and ground strap termination, clean them good an upon re-installation add a grounding strap from this termination and bolt the ground strap to the engine. This will stop the clicking and ensure cranking al the time. The third way to eliminate the problem is to stop by your nearest John Deere dealer and purchase their 'Starter Booster Kit' PART NUMBER: AM107421. This is a relay that provides a solid 12 volt and ground to the solenoid upon start. It costs about $32.00 plus tax. IMHO the second and third way are the the most reliable way to get rid of this problem! I have lived with this condition for years and finally went through the research of the problem and its solution! I'm so glad to have "reliability" back in my tractor!

One of these will work, at 1/3 the price, but it ain't green.

Ford Starter Solenoid - 12 Volt for Ford 2000,3000,4000,7000 - D2AF11450AA

/ BX2200 Starter Issue #10  
lefty525's relay works great. Installed it on mine with no modifications. Directly connected and I have had no issues since.
Well worth the cost and few minutes to install.