farm tractor fees/registration costs

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
For those folks living in TN, KY, SC, AL and GA. What fees/registrations do you pay on your farm tractors? Is it necessary to have ag plates to operate them on the road? I tryed looking this info up on the net but its hard to tell if I'm getting a complete picture. For instance TN appears to require no plate for operating on the road. Its unclear though if a registration is necessary and if there are any fees or taxes levied for owning or operating one. Your help would be very appreciated!

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #2  
I know in California you can get farm plates or special equipment plates. I chose SE (special equipment) plates for both my tractor (TC 24D) and trailer. I do have a restriction of an 8 miles radius from my orchard but that is far enough in and urban environment. The cost was 7 dollars per SE plate and they are good for 3 years. You are not required to have them but it helps when you cross through 4 different police jurisdictions.

George

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #3  
No Fees and No registration in Alabama.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #4  
There is no registration/license fee in KY for a tractor.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs
Here in NH you need plates to be on the road. However, its mostly up to the local COP as to whether its strictly enforced. The cost for that is about $15 fthe first time (incs plate and reg) then about $7/yr after that.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs
Brent, Lary,
Thanx! Are req to have a SMV sign?

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #7  
I know you didn't include NC, but tractors, combines, etc. (vehicles of husbandry) do not need to be registered here to use the road. They do need a SMV.
Trailers need to be registered.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #8  
I am pretty sure you will need one of those, besides it is just good common sense to have it on there.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #9  
Yes, SMV's , at least one Flasher and lights after dark are required on all farm equipment on public roadways in KY. I think this is pretty well universal in the USA.

/ farm tractor fees/registration costs #10  
Hi
Do any of you folks have to pay personal property tax on the equipment where you live every year? In Missouri we have to list just about everything and pay tax on it. My personal property tax was around 500 dollars for 2003 all vehicles have to be registered and fees paid except tractors and I suspect they will include them before too long once they figure they can get a few more bucks out of the working man/woman.
I just bought a 4 wheeler had to register it and now i have to buy a 10 dollar sticker every 3 years

Charlie