Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #1  

mtwashingtonhunter

Bronze Member
Tractor
2015 Mahindra mPower 75
Should I be as worried as I am about driving a 12,000 pound tractor down an asphalt driveway?
Last thing I wanna do is damage the driveway... But I'm wanting to store it in my attached garage until my pole barn gets finished.

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #2  
No problems from the weight. Avoid "dry turning" or turning front wheels while not moving. The psi to the driveway is likely way less than your truck/car. If you have R1 or R4, I would avoid leaving it parked on the asphalt on a hot day if asphalt is fresh. Driveway paving operations rarely compact the asphalt good enough, and if you leave it sit, you could get some minor tire marks in asphalt.

Edit: also, avoid brake steering on it

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #3  
   / Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #4  
Kinda depends on the type of asphalt you have and the ambient temperature.

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway
Well all is good so far... Best part, guy unloaded and drove it right down the driveway... That way, he damages, he fixes... Luckily it's cool out today so no issues.
Thanks for the replies

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #6  
Well all is good so far... Best part, guy unloaded and drove it right down the driveway... That way, he damages, he fixes... Luckily it's cool out today so no issues.
Thanks for the replies

I assume you are talking about the guy who delivered your new tractor. If it turned out that YOUR new tractor damaged your asphalt, why would HE be responsible for fixing it? He was doing you a favor by driving it into your garage. He could have unloaded it off the trailer, tossed you the keys and said adios.

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #8  
I drive a loaded ton truck up my drive way. It weighs more than 12,000 pounds, and doesn't hurt anything. I have driven a forklift carrying about 2,000 pounds on my driveway. The forklift plus the load weighed about 15,000 pounds. Forklifts have tiny tires, and have extremely high ground psi.

Last edited:
   / Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway
That's pretty impressive...I tend to worry too much and be overly cautious.
Appreciate the reply!

/ Newbie question... Tractor on asphalt driveway #10  
Woah! What kind of tractor did you get that weights 12,000 lbs? Big Mama! :eek: